Where Can I Find Ancient Greek Poetry?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ranger
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
ranger
Gold Member
Messages
1,687
Reaction score
2
Does any know where I can find poetry from the ancient Greek civilization?

--thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Here is a nice site:

http://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/default.asp

Lots of literature

To understand Greek Literature, you need to understand Homer:

http://www.gpc.edu/~shale/humanities/literature/world_literature/homer.html
http://www.ellopos.net/blog/?p=23
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homer

Some Hesiod Poetry:
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/348
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hesiod

Aristophanes

http://etext.library.adelaide.edu.au/a/aristophanes/

Menander

http://faculty.fairfield.edu/rosivach/cl103a/dyskolos.htm

In fact, go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_literature#Classical_Greek

Many of the poets are listed here, and you can find numerous external links to Universities who have these works in e-book formate.

Enjoy.

You should also look at Byzantium Literature, it is also very good.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Greek and Latin were one of my former majors in college. Apart from the usual Homer and Hesiod, Greek lyric poetry, although most exist in fragments, will also give you a different, interesting glimpse of Greece-Archilochus, Sappho, Pindar, Mimnermus..etc
And of course the tragedians-Sophocles, was my favorite... I like what I now am studying but I sure miss those days-when college work afforded the constant company of those Greeks...
 
Last edited by a moderator: