Where can I find English translations of seminal quantum physics papers?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for later works by Vladimir Fock, specifically the papers on the Fock operator and the Dirac-Fock operator, and the possibility of finding English translations of these papers. The conversation suggests various resources such as V.A. Fock Selected Works, "Sources of Quantum Mechanics," "Collected Papers on Wave Mechanics," and "Quantum Theory and Measurement," as well as Mehra's "The Historical Development of Quantum Mechanics" for expert commentary on the subject. The conversation concludes with a thank you to unusualname for providing the desired information.
SpectraCat
Science Advisor
I am aware that Dover has a compendium of some of the early works from 1907-1926 (I think), but I am looking for later ones, specifically the papers of Vladimir Fock in Z. Phys. where he develops the Fock operator, and the Dirac-Fock operator (these are from 1929-1931 I think). I can sort of muddle through the original German, but I wouldn't want to make a silly translation error.

Does anyone know if these papers have been republished in English?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Quite a few of Fock's papers are translated in

V.A. Fock Selected Works: Quantum Mechanics and Quantum Field Theory (Chapman & Hall/CRC 2004)

which you can read online http://www.calameo.com/books/0000035452dd43f81845c (url links from contents page may not work, use forward and back arrows to navigate through the book)

Don't know if the specific paper you want is there though.

The Dover Book "Sources of Quantum Mechanics" has translations of pre 1927 papers, but includes no wave mechanics, Schrödinger's wave mechanics papers can be found (translated) in "Collected Papers on wave Mechanics".

For post 1927 papers try Wheeler and Zurek's "Quantum Theory and Measurement" (Includes translation of classics like Heisenberg's uncertainty paper, and Born's proposal that |psi|^2 is to be interpreted as a probability)

And for some expert commentry on the period see Mehra's 'The Historical Development of Quantum Mechanics', particularly Vol 6 'The Completion of Quantum Mechanics 1926-1941'

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks very much unusualname. That was exactly what I was looking for.

I was aware of the Dover book (I had a copy once upon a time .. but it seems to have walked off). I have also read exceprts of Mehra's work, but have not had time to review the whole thing .. definitely saving that for a rainy day though.

1. How can I access English translations of seminal quantum physics papers?

There are several ways to access English translations of seminal quantum physics papers. One option is to search for them on online databases such as arXiv or JSTOR. You can also check if they are available in your university's library or request them through interlibrary loan.

2. Are there any websites that offer free English translations of seminal quantum physics papers?

Yes, there are websites such as Quantum Diaries and Quantum Physics Archive that offer free English translations of seminal quantum physics papers. However, the availability of papers may vary and not all papers may be translated.

3. Can I find English translations of seminal quantum physics papers on Google Scholar?

Yes, you can find some English translations of seminal quantum physics papers on Google Scholar. However, not all papers may be available in translation and the quality of translations may vary.

4. Are there any books that compile English translations of seminal quantum physics papers?

Yes, there are books such as "The Quantum Theory of Fields" by Steven Weinberg and "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind that compile English translations of seminal quantum physics papers. These books may also provide additional commentary and explanations to aid in understanding the papers.

5. How can I ensure the accuracy of the English translations of seminal quantum physics papers?

It is important to note that translations of scientific papers can vary in accuracy. If possible, it is recommended to cross-reference translations with the original papers in their native language. Additionally, checking the credentials of the translator and consulting other experts in the field can also help ensure the accuracy of the translations.