Where can I find resources to improve my algebra skills in chemistry?

  • Thread starter Thread starter madcat8000
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Chemistry
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
madcat8000
Messages
111
Reaction score
0
Ok hard for me to admit this but I am having an amazing amount of difficulty with the algebra in chem2. Is there a book or website that someone can recommend where I can continualy grind out those equations while I wait to retake it next semester? I am never going to have an eureka moment with algebra so all I know to do is grind it out till I memorize the steps and be happy that I get a B in the bloody mess of red marks. I don't mind paying either as long as the source doesn't assume that the student has a great grasp of algebra because I never will. My particular issues are from equilbrium through acid-base eq to thermodynamics. Before and after I am gravy!

Thanks in advance.
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
One of the best sites for learning basic algebra:

http://www.khanacademy.org/

What you said is troubling though, because if you just memorize the steps you won't get anywhere. This website is pretty helpful in a lot of areas, so check out their video tutorials in whatever you feel you need help with. Keep in mind though, you need to understand what's going on when you do math at any level, otherwise you won't be able to solve a more complex problem when you come to it. This should help you understand the basics though, especially on the fundamental level required for application in chemistry.
 
TYVM! Yeah I don't know what to do about my math skillz except drill. I understand what's happening but seems like I am just dyslexic when it comes to algebra. The answer just never comes out right.
 
The only way to learn it is to keep looking over the rules, and practice as much as possible. I know it's a pain in the ***, but you really do need to know algebra, and not just for school. Hopefully that link can help you out though!