Where can I find tech specs for prosthetic heart valves

In summary, the conversation revolved around a project for an advanced fluids class involving a CFD analysis of two prosthetic heart valves - the bi-leaflet valve and the ball and cage (star-edwards). The individual was having trouble finding technical specifications and drawings for the valves, and someone suggested checking the Patent US4935030 for the bi-leaflet valve as a starting point. It was also mentioned that the patent for the Starr-Edwards valve may have expired.
joshthekid
So I am doing a project for an advanced fluids class where I plan to do a CFD analysis of two different prosthetic heart valves, the bi-leaflet valve and the ball and cage (star-edwards). I cannot seem to find the technical specifications or drawings that I need in order to make a good cad model. Does anybody know where I might find such info? Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Perhaps the Patent US4935030, for the bi-leaflet valve would get you started?

I wonder if the Starr-Edwards may have expired, it is mentioned in some more recent patents but I couldn't find it in a quick search.

Wee-Lamm said:
Perhaps the Patent US4935030, for the bi-leaflet valve would get you started?

I wonder if the Starr-Edwards may have expired, it is mentioned in some more recent patents but I couldn't find it in a quick search.

Thanks! That helps a lot.

1. What are the technical specifications for prosthetic heart valves?

The technical specifications for prosthetic heart valves vary depending on the specific type and manufacturer. Some common technical specifications include the type of material used for the valve, the size and shape of the valve, the valve's performance and durability, and any special features or functions.

2. Where can I find technical specifications for a specific brand of prosthetic heart valve?

If you are looking for technical specifications for a specific brand of prosthetic heart valve, you can usually find them on the manufacturer's website. You may also be able to find them on medical equipment websites or by contacting the manufacturer directly.

3. Are there any standard technical specifications for prosthetic heart valves?

Yes, there are some standard technical specifications that are commonly followed for prosthetic heart valves. These include the size and shape of the valve, the type of material used, and the valve's performance and durability. However, some manufacturers may have unique technical specifications for their specific brand of prosthetic heart valve.

4. How can I understand and interpret the technical specifications for prosthetic heart valves?

The technical specifications for prosthetic heart valves can be complex and may include medical terminology. It is best to consult with a medical professional, such as a doctor or prosthetist, to fully understand and interpret the technical specifications. They can also help you determine which specifications are most important for your specific needs.

5. Are there any regulations or guidelines for the technical specifications of prosthetic heart valves?

Yes, there are regulations and guidelines set by government agencies, such as the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), for the technical specifications of prosthetic heart valves. These regulations ensure that the valves are safe and effective for use in patients. Manufacturers must adhere to these regulations when producing and marketing their prosthetic heart valves.