1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where can I learn taylor series and combinatorics?

1. May 7, 2014 #1
    I want to learn combinatorics.
    Please send links?

If possible, can you explain now?

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2014 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

4. May 8, 2014 #3
    thanks, but what about taylor series?
    I want to learn taylor series and how to solve hard traylor series problems.

(I haven't learned it yet, but I saw the solution key to mathematics tournaments and taylor series were used all the time for calculus problems) So I want to learn it.

5. May 8, 2014 #4
    That is not good motivation for learning mathematics.

6. May 8, 2014 #5
    Hey at least he's motivated about doing math. Everyone has to develop there passion for math from someplace.

7. May 8, 2014 #6
    Yes, motivation is good but doing something to succeed on competitions (by the way, just learning this stuff will not make you able to solve the problems on competitions as they usually require problem solving skills which come through practice), for prestige etc is not a good method.

8. May 8, 2014 #7
    I know that a lot of people say that they don't want prestige, but human beings are vain to a certain degree. And so it does feel nice to succeed in a tournament, especially since the OP is in high school. But what I am trying to say is that by getting interested in math competitions he might just become fascinated with the subject in its own right. In fact, that was how G.H. Hardy became interested in mathematics, by competing with his peers in secondary school.

9. May 8, 2014 #8
    OK, it is true that one may develop a love for mathematics through competitions.

Going back to the original topic, I think
    http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcII/TaylorSeries.aspx
    is a good place.

10. May 10, 2014 #9
    First learn taylor polynomials, it's no different but ever expanding. Sources: in hs too

11. May 10, 2014 #10

verty

Homework Helper

Chapter 14 here looks pretty decent for Taylor series.

12. May 10, 2014 #11
    What book?

13. May 10, 2014 #12
    Click the hyperlink, "here", in Verty's post.

14. May 10, 2014 #13
  15. May 10, 2014 #14
    "Mathematics of Choice: Or, How to Count Without Counting" by Niven.

16. May 10, 2014 #15
    These two books are good for problems.

Combinatorics Problems and Solutions by Stefan Hollos
    A Path to Combinatorics for Undergraduates: Counting Strategies by Titu Andreescu.

17. May 11, 2014 #16
    Thanks

18. May 11, 2014 #17
    You should use Paul's Notes for all intro college math.

19. May 12, 2014 #18
    Ok thank you all

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook