Where do the free electrons go and how do I find the energy level?

Hi everyone

I am new to quantum physics, [well any physics before this year] I am doing a course where I am asked to explain the sub atomic particles and why my chemical is like it like hydrogen.

I have Carbon ^5+ ion, This makes it like hydrogen because there is one bound electron, I take it it has one shell for the bound electron, where do the free electrons go? Do they just move in the energy levels.

Also I feel a bit lost on a energy ground state level, I Know that there it's an atomic number 6(Z), what is the n, and then there is the l and m1 and m2. I need to calaculate the energy level ground state and the next 4 levels. can anyone explain in easy English I'm obviously very lost!

is this the correct formula for calculating the ground state. En = z^2 x -13.60/ n^2

Carbon ^5+ ion has atomic number is 6, is n^2 (the 1 electron) or am I just confused perhaps I am beyond help?

As I said I am really new at this, not even sure whether they expect me to go in to explaining sub atomic partcles in to the smallest particles, do I include the neutrions, quarks, gluons, etc when they talk of the atomic particles. I am not lost honest!

Any help would be so useful if you could let me know where the electrons go and if I am on the right path equation wise it will really help. Any help will be very welcome.

Thank you for taking the time to look at my request.

DrClaude

Mentor
I have Carbon ^5+ ion, This makes it like hydrogen because there is one bound electron, I take it it has one shell for the bound electron, where do the free electrons go? Do they just move in the energy levels.
If you have a C5+ atom, then the other electrons are simply gone. There is only one left.

is this the correct formula for calculating the ground state. En = z^2 x -13.60/ n^2
It depends on whether you account for the motion of the nucleus or not. The better approach is to use the proper Rydberg constant for that atom, ##R_M## instead of ##R_\infty##, see

Carbon ^5+ ion has atomic number is 6, is n^2 (the 1 electron) or am I just confused perhaps I am beyond help?
The ##n## in the formula is the principal quantum number. It is a positive integer and starts at 1 the ground state).