Where do the free electrons go and how do I find the energy level?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Marie131963
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi everyone

I am new to quantum physics, [well any physics before this year] I am doing a course where I am asked to explain the sub atomic particles and why my chemical is like it like hydrogen.

I have Carbon ^5+ ion, This makes it like hydrogen because there is one bound electron, I take it it has one shell for the bound electron, where do the free electrons go? Do they just move in the energy levels.

Also I feel a bit lost on a energy ground state level, I Know that there it's an atomic number 6(Z), what is the n, and then there is the l and m1 and m2. I need to calaculate the energy level ground state and the next 4 levels. can anyone explain in easy English I'm obviously very lost!

is this the correct formula for calculating the ground state. En = z^2 x -13.60/ n^2

Carbon ^5+ ion has atomic number is 6, is n^2 (the 1 electron) or am I just confused perhaps I am beyond help?

As I said I am really new at this, not even sure whether they expect me to go into explaining sub atomic partcles into the smallest particles, do I include the neutrions, quarks, gluons, etc when they talk of the atomic particles. I am not lost honest!

Any help would be so useful if you could let me know where the electrons go and if I am on the right path equation wise it will really help. Any help will be very welcome.

Thank you for taking the time to look at my request.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Marie131963 said:
I have Carbon ^5+ ion, This makes it like hydrogen because there is one bound electron, I take it it has one shell for the bound electron, where do the free electrons go? Do they just move in the energy levels.
If you have a C5+ atom, then the other electrons are simply gone. There is only one left.

Marie131963 said:
is this the correct formula for calculating the ground state. En = z^2 x -13.60/ n^2
It depends on whether you account for the motion of the nucleus or not. The better approach is to use the proper Rydberg constant for that atom, ##R_M## instead of ##R_\infty##, see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rydberg_constant
Marie131963 said:
Carbon ^5+ ion has atomic number is 6, is n^2 (the 1 electron) or am I just confused perhaps I am beyond help?
The ##n## in the formula is the principal quantum number. It is a positive integer and starts at 1 the ground state).