Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where do the free electrons go and how do I find the energy level?

1. Aug 19, 2008 #1
    Hi everyone

I am new to quantum physics, [well any physics before this year] I am doing a course where I am asked to explain the sub atomic particles and why my chemical is like it like hydrogen.

I have Carbon ^5+ ion, This makes it like hydrogen because there is one bound electron, I take it it has one shell for the bound electron, where do the free electrons go? Do they just move in the energy levels.

Also I feel a bit lost on a energy ground state level, I Know that there it's an atomic number 6(Z), what is the n, and then there is the l and m1 and m2. I need to calaculate the energy level ground state and the next 4 levels. can anyone explain in easy English I'm obviously very lost!

is this the correct formula for calculating the ground state. En = z^2 x -13.60/ n^2

Carbon ^5+ ion has atomic number is 6, is n^2 (the 1 electron) or am I just confused perhaps I am beyond help?

As I said I am really new at this, not even sure whether they expect me to go in to explaining sub atomic partcles in to the smallest particles, do I include the neutrions, quarks, gluons, etc when they talk of the atomic particles. I am not lost honest!

Any help would be so useful if you could let me know where the electrons go and if I am on the right path equation wise it will really help. Any help will be very welcome.

Thank you for taking the time to look at my request.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted