Where do the vibrational modes of molecules come from?

In summary, the vibration mode of a molecule, such as H2+, is a result of the balance between repulsive and attractive forces between the nuclei and electrons. The equilibrium bond length is where the total force is zero, but if the bond is stretched or compressed, the imbalance of forces causes the atoms to oscillate around this distance. This is explained by both Coulomb force and quantum mechanics.
asphy
TL;DR Summary
Where vibrational modes of molecules come from?
Hello everyone. First, sorry for my english. Second, I have got question where vibration mode of H2+ molecule (I think it is the most simple molecule for this topic explanation) comes from. If I should get basics before asking this tell me :). By my count the most important factor behind "being" oscillator is force that returns nuclei to the equilibrium position (I say about nuclei because I read in internet that in vibration are involved nuclei). As the motor force of nuclei repulsion (when nuclei are closer together than in eqilibrium position) I see Coulomb force, but if nuclei are further apart than in equilibrium position what force cause them to change direction and come closer to each other? In conclusion, what force (attracting nuclei) is counterpart of spring in classical oscillator?

Physics news on Phys.org
In a molecule, there is a balance between repulsive (electron-electron and nucleus-nucleus) forces and attractive (electron-nucleus) forces. The total force is zero at the equilibrium bond length. If you stretch or compress the bond, the imbalance of attractive and repulsive forces will pull the atoms back toward equilibrium.

This is probably as close an explanation as I can give you without invoking quantum mechanics.

Likes PeterDonis, vanhees71 and DrClaude
At large distances, you have attraction between a positive proton and a polarisable H atom. At small distances, the repulsion between the two nuclei dominates. Hence there must be at least one bound state and the distance of the two atoms can oscillate around the equilibrium distance.

Likes TeethWhitener and PeterDonis

1. What are vibrational modes of molecules?

Vibrational modes of molecules refer to the different ways in which atoms within a molecule can vibrate relative to each other. These vibrations are caused by the bonds between atoms and can be described by their frequency, amplitude, and direction.

2. Where do the vibrational modes of molecules come from?

The vibrational modes of molecules come from the energy stored in the bonds between atoms. When a molecule absorbs energy, the bonds stretch, bend, and rotate, resulting in different vibrational modes.

3. How do scientists study the vibrational modes of molecules?

Scientists use a variety of spectroscopic techniques to study the vibrational modes of molecules. These techniques involve shining different types of light, such as infrared or Raman, onto a molecule and measuring the resulting vibrations.

4. Can the vibrational modes of molecules be affected by their environment?

Yes, the vibrational modes of molecules can be affected by their surrounding environment. Factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other molecules can alter the energy and frequency of a molecule's vibrational modes.

5. Why are vibrational modes of molecules important?

The vibrational modes of molecules are important because they provide valuable information about the structure and behavior of molecules. This information is crucial in fields such as chemistry, biology, and materials science, and can help scientists understand and predict the properties and reactions of different molecules.