Where Do Things Disappear To? Measuring Cups, Socks, and Mechanical Pencils

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: People wonder where their socks go and if they're ever really worn out. In summary, the socks get stuck in the jar next to the couch or chair.
Evo said:
I use those anti-static cling dryer sheets, so don't have the cling problem. I'm going to start washing my socks in my lingerie bag, hopefully that will stop the problem. I had a pair of socks with cats on them and one pair with dogs on them, now I have one of each. :frown:

Oh, my god, if you wear them at the same time, your feet will get along with each other like ....

Now, I know how Moonbear fell down in the hallway for no apparent reason! She stole Evo's missing socks!

I think you should go with two styles of socks. Then you can start each day with a brain teaser:

Evo has 15 socks in her drawer: she has 3 pair of black socks, 2 pair of dark grey socks, 2 unmated black socks, and 3 unmated dark grey socks. How many socks does she have to remove from her drawer each morning to have a greater than 87.3% chance of having two matching socks.

Physics news on Phys.org
BobG said:
Oh, my god, if you wear them at the same time, your feet will get along with each other like ....
I do wear the cat and dog socks together now. I'm not throwing away perfectly good socks.

Evo said:
I have to buy more measuring cups. I have 4 nested sets and the 1/4 cup measure is missing from three of the sets. I also only have 1 full cup measure. I live alone. These are my dry measuring cups, my wet measures are all there.

I rarely host dinner parties, but I have actually had things go missing after those types of events. It would be hard for someone to make off with my measuring cups, though, as those are stored in a place which would be impossible to access without me knowing. :biggrin:

Evo said:
I bought 6 new pairs of socks a year ago and a couple of months ago had to buy several more pairs becuase I no longer had any matching socks. I've already lost 2 socks. How do they disappear between the bedroom and the laundry room next to my kitchen? I've looked on the sides and back of the washer and dryer to see if they might have fallen, but don't see them.

My cat takes socks to the most bizarre places! I'll find them on top of beams, behind the couch, inside cabinets, and most anywhere she likes to hang out.

Evo said:
I use mechanical pencils and buy them in packs, I have two of the six pack I bought last year. They're refillable, I don't throw them away.

Mine simply get stolen. Is this happening at work or at home? I have stopped bringing my own supplies to work because of pen/pencil thievery. If this is happening at home, I'd say it's time to set up some video surveillance. :cool:

Evo said:
I know the sock thing happens to everyone, but does anyone else notice that they have things that just seem to "disappear"?

Notes to myself. :rofl:

ok, I just saw my dog carrying off my measuring cup!

Evo said:
I bought 6 new pairs of socks a year ago and a couple of months ago had to buy several more pairs becuase I no longer had any matching socks.
I solved the missing sock problem years ago when I started safety pinning my socks together as soon as I take them off.

Evo said:
I do wear the cat and dog socks together now. I'm not throwing away perfectly good socks.

You know... perhaps your legendary accident-proneness is due to your left foot and your right foot chasing each other...

DaveC426913 said:
You know... perhaps your legendary accident-proneness is due to your left foot and your right foot chasing each other...

I knew you were a scientist !

leroyjenkens said:
I've dropped things right next to my chair on the carpet before and never saw them again for the rest of my life. It makes no sense.

That is so much like me that its, SCARY.:bugeye:

Lateralus. said:
Evo said:
I use mechanical pencils and buy them in packs, I have two of the six pack I bought last year. They're refillable, I don't throw them away.
Mine simply get stolen. Is this happening at work or at home? I have stopped bringing my own supplies to work because of pen/pencil thievery. If this is happening at home, I'd say it's time to set up some video surveillance. :cool:

If you'd buy your pens and pencils from Pen Island, people would be less likely to steal them.

http://penisland.net/samplepens1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oooohwww! Oooohwww! I want one of those pens!

Doc Al said:
I solved the missing sock problem years ago when I started safety pinning my socks together as soon as I take them off.

GENIUS! she could just sew each pair of socks into a pair of pantyhose

BobG said:
If you'd buy your pens and pencils from Pen Island, people would be less likely to steal them.

If I'm going to get my pens and pencils from an island, that island will be Bora Bora :smile:.

So we have a plan, Evo: let's get the Sisterhood together, go to Bora Bora, and buy you some mechanical pencils. Oh sure, the PF Brotherhood (is there such a thing?) can join us, too!

lisab said:
If I'm going to get my pens and pencils from an island, that island will be Bora Bora :smile:.

So we have a plan, Evo: let's get the Sisterhood together, go to Bora Bora, and buy you some mechanical pencils. Oh sure, the PF Brotherhood (is there such a thing?) can join us, too!

Posh! Who's going to buy pens from you when you have a domain name like www.boraboraisland.com?

If there's any silver lining, it's that there doesn't seem to be a single pen or pencil store on the entire island. And the only ink they have might be in the tatoo parlors.

Last edited:
BobG said:

http://penisland.net/samplepens1.jpg
[/URL]

You guys do realize the joke here, right?

Let's just say I can't link to the Pen Island website without getting a warning.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC426913 said:

Let's just say I can't link to the Pen Island website without getting a warning.
Yes, it's well known. But they reallly do sell pens.

DaveC426913 said:

I thought Evo had two left feet. :uhh:

Evo said:
Yes, it's well known. But they reallly do sell pens.

If only the pens were shaped like the island... it might make a more natural grip!

DaveC426913 said:

I'll bite: what kind of warning?

I live alone too, but my measuring cups don't make off on me. I don't have the mechanical pencil issue either, but I definitely have the sock problem. And I live alone. And my appliances are new and in my apartment and are for my exclusive use. I recently threw out a blob of single socks (not that I have anything against being single because, hey, that can be a very nice way to conduct one's life but not if you're a sock) and obtained a collection of matching ones. Now. All of my new matched socks are white, so I shouldn't be difficult to keep track of them, because any two socks can mate and be a pair. I'll still have at least one stray sock soon. I swear it.

GeorginaS said:
I'll bite: what kind of warning?

Look at the url for a while.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Look at the url for a while.

Yeah, okay, I'm an idiot. Thank you SA.

I bought a new set of measuring cups and spoons. This set does not have a 2/3 cup measure, which is fine since none of the 2/3 cups ran away, I have 4 of them. I don't know if the 2/3rds are more loyal or not as motivated as the other cups.

Evo said:
I bought a new set of measuring cups and spoons. This set does not have a 2/3 cup measure, which is fine since none of the 2/3 cups ran away, I have 4 of them. I don't know if the 2/3rds are more loyal or not as motivated as the other cups.

Less motivated. They're useless and they know it.

Tsp - tbsp - 1/4 cup, 1/2 cup, 1 cup - 1 pint - 1 quart - 1/2 gal, 1 gal, etc all work very well.

The thirds (both 1/3 and 2/3) tend to be rather odd.

2/3 cup doesn't convert to ounces very well (5.33 oz). It doesn't convert to tbsp very well (10.667 tbsp). It does convert to tsp, but who wants to measure out 32 tsp. (48 tsp per cup is a good measure, being divisible by both 4 and 3, but it's just too darn small. You really need one more measure, such as a counterspoon {4 tsp}, to make spoons work.)

160 ml does come very close to converting to 2/3 cup.

2/3 cup could come in handy if you wanted to make a smaller batch of a large recipe.

Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers.
After cutting its purity in two
He sold 3072 teaspoons of pickled peppers.

GeorginaS said:
Yeah, okay, I'm an idiot. Thank you SA.

yeah, me too---I saw it along time ago and put it in 'low priority to remember' file

lisab said:
The PF Brotherhood is a secr--er, I mean no, there is no Brotherhood at PF. Uh, that I'm aware of. :blushing:

Redbelly98 said:
The PF Brotherhood is a secr--er, I mean no, there is no Brotherhood at PF. Uh, that I'm aware of. :blushing:
Next you'll blab the secret handshake. Sheesh! Not that there is one.

(ok, guys, use the ' - - ' to read this message

Evo said:
I have to buy more measuring cups. I have 4 nested sets and the 1/4 cup measure is missing from three of the sets...

You are too funny :smile: The easiest way to stop runnaway measuring cups (and spoons too) is to attach them all together with a metal ring (similar to a key ring). They often come sold with a ring attached. (If you take them off the ring to use them, all bets are off. )

For lost socks, I would check behind the bed. I suspect a few are hiding back there..
The solution to your lost socks coincidentally is the same.. Several years ago, I was given some sock rings. You pair them through a ring before tossing in the laundry basket. Since I started with these rings, I've never lost a sock.

I don't enjoy whenever my mechanical pencils wander off too. Those I'm particularly fond of, never leave my desk. All the rest have to take their chances.

Last edited:
Ouabache said:
I don't enjoy whenever my mechanical pencils wander off too. Those I'm particularly fond of, never leave my desk. All the rest have to take their chances.
I can live with most lost mechanical pencils, as long as my favorite hangs around. It is a Caran D'ache Fixpencil by Proceq SA, Zurich. It is the most low-tech mechanical pencil you can imagine, but it's bulletproof. I still have one of the original Swiss-made leads in it - might be a bear to find replacements these days.

turbo-1 said:
I still have one of the original Swiss-made leads in it - might be a bear to find replacements these days.
Couldn't you cast them yourself using a teeny mold? :biggrin:

Break out the lead-ware Martha, and I mean the good stuff; I'll need it all if we're going to get through this night alive...

DaveC426913 said:
Couldn't you cast them yourself using a teeny mold? :biggrin:

Break out the lead-ware Martha, and I mean the good stuff; I'll need it all if we're going to get through this night alive...

:rofl:

Good stuff, Dave.