Where is my mistake in integrating x/(x+√(x+2)) with v-sub?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ayesh
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Homework
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Ayesh
Messages
29
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement




[tex]\int \frac {x}{x+ \sqrt {x+2}}[/tex]



The Attempt at a Solution



I used the v-sub.

I also did a long division.

It gave me [tex]\int 2v-2- \frac {v}{v-1} + \frac {2}{v-1}[/tex]

My final answer [tex]2x+2-2 \sqrt {x+2} -ln \sqrt {x+2} -1 +2ln \sqrt {x+2} -1 +c[/tex]

The final answer should be [tex]x-2 \sqrt {x+2} - 2/3ln \sqrt {x+2} -1 + \frac 8/3ln \sqrt {x+2} + 2 +c[/tex]

Where is my mistake?
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Ayesh said:

Homework Statement




[tex]\int \frac {x}{x+ \sqrt {x+2}}[/tex]



The Attempt at a Solution



I used the v-sub.

I also did a long division.

It gave me [tex]\int 2v-2- \frac {v}{v-1} + \frac {2}{v-1}[/tex]

My final answer [tex]2x+2-2 \sqrt {x+2} -ln \sqrt {x+2} -1 +2ln \sqrt {x+2} -1 +c[/tex]

The final answer should be [tex]x-2 \sqrt {x+2} - 2/3ln \sqrt {x+2} -1 + \frac 8/3ln \sqrt {x+2} + 2 +c[/tex]

Where is my mistake?
Kind of hard to say when you leave out critical details, like what substitution you actually used.
 


I attached a file with what I have done, since I am very bad with latex code.
 
Attachments
  • v-sub.JPG
    v-sub.JPG
    12.5 KB · Views: 420


You still didn't tell us what the substitution was that you used. If you want help, you need to provide the necessary information.
 


Looks like your polynomial division is wrong. The remainder should be over v^2+v-2, and there appears to be a sign error as well. The quotient looks okay, though.