Where should I post computational physics "check my work" threads?

• Thread starter Wrichik Basu
  • Start date
In summary, these are "check my work" type problems, and I need some help figuring out where the problem is occurring.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I have written some programs for solving partial differential equations, and they are not working out as they should, i.e. the numerical solution is not matching the analytic value. I need some help in figuring out where the problem is occurring. These are essentially "check my work" type problems.

Where should I post such threads? In the intro physics homework help? Or advanced physics homework help? Or somewhere else? I prefer not to post in the Engineering and Comp Sci Homework forum as this is neither engineering, nor computer science; this is specifically computational physics. There seems to be no forum specifically for computational physics problems.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since they are problems with differential equations why would you not just post them in the differential equations forum?

phinds said:
Since they are problems with differential equations why would you not just post them in the differential equations forum?
Because the problem is with the program (Python/MATLAB). That's why I was a bit hesitant to post it in the diff. eqns. forum.

Wrichik Basu said:
Because the problem is with the program (Python/MATLAB). That's why I was a bit hesitant to post it in the diff. eqns. forum.
Ah. Reasonable. Well, then, "Programming and Computer Science".

Last edited:
Likes pbuk
phinds said:
Well, then, "Programming and Computer Science".
This has a Physics portion attached to it as well. In the programming forum, I haven't seen any computational physics question recently. I was thinking to post somewhere in the physics section...

Wrichik Basu said:
These are essentially "check my work" type problems.
"Check my work" is a really heavy ask.

You can make it easier with well-documented code, easy to understand variable names and logic structure, and the minimum example needed to demonstrate the problem.

Last edited:
Likes Astronuc and phinds
You ended up posting this in "Other Physics" - that's not a good choice.
phinds said:
Ah. Reasonable. Well, then, "Programming and Computer Science".
would have been better, but it really should be in homework and so "Engineering and Comp Sci Homework" is the right place.

Likes phinds
pbuk said:
You ended up posting this in "Other Physics" - that's not a good choice.
I posted there because I found another unanswered thread on computational physics in that forum. It's quite high up in the unanswered threads panel in the RHS, but no Mentor has moved it yet. So, I thought that would be the correct place.
pbuk said:
it really should be in homework and so "Engineering and Comp Sci Homework" is the right place.
This is not Engineering. In addition, it also has some physics in it, not only computer science.

Wrichik Basu said:
This is not Engineering.
The topic is for problems related to Engineering or problems related to Computer Science, not exclusively problems related to both Engineering and Computer Science.
Wrichik Basu said:
In addition, it also has some physics in it, not only computer science.
Do not confuse the model with the application: exactly the same PDE has applications in biology, chemistry, engineering, economics, financial mathematics...

Likes Wrichik Basu

1. Where is the best place to post my computational physics work for others to check?

The best place to post your computational physics work for others to check is on a forum or discussion board specifically dedicated to physics or computational physics. This will ensure that your work is seen by individuals with the necessary expertise to provide accurate feedback.

2. Can I post my computational physics work on social media for others to check?

While you can certainly post your work on social media, it may not be the most effective platform for receiving accurate feedback. Social media platforms are not typically geared towards scientific discussions and may not have a large community of individuals knowledgeable in computational physics.

3. Is it appropriate to post my computational physics work on a personal blog for others to check?

Posting your work on a personal blog may not be the best option as it may not reach a wide audience of experts in computational physics. However, if you have a dedicated following of individuals with expertise in this field, it may be a suitable platform for receiving feedback.

4. Are there any online communities specifically for sharing and checking computational physics work?

Yes, there are several online communities and forums dedicated to computational physics where individuals can share their work and receive feedback from others in the field. These communities often have strict guidelines and rules to ensure the accuracy and quality of feedback.

5. How can I ensure that the feedback I receive on my computational physics work is accurate and helpful?

To ensure that the feedback you receive is accurate and helpful, it is important to post your work on a platform or community with a large number of individuals knowledgeable in computational physics. Additionally, clearly state your questions and areas of concern in your post to guide the feedback you receive.