Where Should I Start In Designing A 3D Printer?

In summary, the individual is interested in designing a 3D printer that can print at high resolution and in multiple colors, but is not well-versed in 3D printing or mechanical engineering. They have experience in computer programming and CAD and are considering starting this project based off of the Rep-Rap printer design. They have been studying 3D printing and are aware of the Rep-Rap design, but are wondering if it is worth their time to pursue this project. The conversation suggests starting with a kit printer before designing their own. The individual will take this advice and start with the RepRap as it is a good starter kit and can be modified easily.
VarietyBook
I would like to design a 3D printer. I know that sounds very ambitious (and probably stupidly unrealistic), but I'm not talking about the fanciest things on the market (like glass/metal printers). I just want to design a printer that can print to a great resolution and in mixtures of 3 primary colors (multicolor models) with plastic. I don't want to go with the vanilla Rep-Rap printer (an "open source" 3D printer) because:

A) I don't have access to all of the specialized plastic parts.
B) The Rep-Rap is designed to print one color at a low resolution.

I am not well-versed in 3D printing (I have never even used one). I have no experience in mechanical engineering or in 3D printing, but I have experience in computer programming and CAD. I know building a precision machine isn't programming, but I do feel like I can learn effectively by myself. After all, I think I taught myself way more than what a first-year computer science student would learn, and this all by my lonesome in approximately 1.5 years.

All fluff aside, do you think it is even worth my time to start this project, or do you think that I won't get anywhere. My design would be heavily based off of the Rep-Rap, but with major changes to allow for high-resolution multicolor printing.

Should I make this my new project and start pouring weekends into it, or do you think it is a waste of time?

P.S: I might not have used a printer, but over the past few months I have been studying 3D printing heavily. I believe the sentences about "not well versed in 3D printing" are at least somewhat misleading.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Build this one:
http://reprap.org/wiki/RepRap
... oh you've seen it!

A non-fancy 3D printer is well within the scope of the desktop hobbyist - don't worry about it. You can get as complicated as your budget will allow.

The RepRap will even make a lot of it's own parts so once you've built one small one, you can build as many as you like to different specs... allows you to modify the design easily.

First, you should actually try 3D printing. Then you should build a kit printer.

Reprap project supplies kit printers.
huntoon is right - build a standard kit before you try designing your own.

I guess I will start with what you recommend. Thank you for your advice. I will start with the RepRap.

It's basically the perfect 3D printer starter kit, yeah.

From your description, you really want to start with the very simplest one, experiment with it a bit, and decide on improvements - use it to print the parts for the improved version. Each one of the reprap designs you see on the wiki were printed using previous versions that were much clunkier - so, if anything, you are underestimating what is available to you.

1. What are the basic components needed to design a 3D printer?

The basic components needed to design a 3D printer include a frame, motors, belts or lead screws, hotend or extruder, heated bed, control board, and power supply. Other optional components include a filament sensor and a display screen.

2. What software is commonly used in designing a 3D printer?

Some commonly used software in designing a 3D printer include CAD (Computer-Aided Design) software such as SolidWorks, AutoCAD, or Fusion 360, as well as slicing software like Cura, Simplify3D, or Slic3r. Some designers also use programming languages like Arduino to code their own control boards.

3. How do I choose the right frame for my 3D printer?

The right frame for a 3D printer depends on factors such as budget, desired print size, and intended use. Popular frame materials include aluminum extrusions, acrylic sheets, and 3D printed parts. It is important to choose a sturdy and rigid frame to ensure accurate prints.

4. What are some important design considerations for a 3D printer?

Some important design considerations for a 3D printer include the print bed size, print resolution and accuracy, print speed, filament compatibility, and ease of assembly and maintenance. It is also important to consider the type of printing technology (FDM, SLA, etc.) and the intended use of the printer when designing its features.

5. How can I ensure the safety of my 3D printer design?

To ensure the safety of a 3D printer design, it is important to follow safety guidelines and regulations for electronic devices, such as using appropriate wiring and insulation, and providing proper ventilation for the heated components. It is also recommended to incorporate safety features such as thermal runaway protection and a failsafe power switch. Regular maintenance and monitoring can also help prevent potential safety hazards.