Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where there more planets being formed?

1. Aug 10, 2012 #1
    I understand how planetary orbits are described by Kepler`s laws, and how planets in our solar system have the different orbital velocities that they have. But I was wondering that if those planets are just the ones that during the solar system creation, due to their initial velocities were able to stay in orbit, whereas others due to very high or very low initial velocities escaped or collapsed into the sun. Did this happened?
    Thank you
    Best regards

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2012 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Certainly yes, though most would not have had much time to form before crashing into the sun or escaping. But there is still smaller debris impacting the sun or other planets all the time.

4. Aug 11, 2012 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Russ, is it very likely that many of these bodies actually fell into the Sun or acheived escape velocity? How would they gain/lose that much velocity?

5. Aug 11, 2012 #4
    I've seen models with 50-100 protoplanets being formed during planetary formation. Most of these collided or were torn apart from gravitational interactions with each other. Very few would be destroyed by the sun. Some would definitely escape orbit via gravitational interactions as well.

6. Aug 11, 2012 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

They wouldn't. If they "fall into the sun" they never had enough velocity to orbit the sun. If they escaped they already had enough velocity to excape.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook