Where to buy certified solar eclipse glasses and camera filters

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter LightningInAJar
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Astronomy Equipment
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
6 replies · 3K views
LightningInAJar
Messages
289
Reaction score
38
I am looking into proper and well tested solar glasses for the upcoming total eclipse next year. Also solar film and clip to attach to my camera so I can do a video. I'm scared to just buy randomly on Amazon.
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I would suggest that you begin by explicitly defining what you are looking for in the products. As an example, a Google search of "best solar glasses" yields a number of lists from places like ThePlanets.org and BBC Sky at Night Magazine with recommendations. Many of those recommended glasses are available at Amazon or other websites that are given.

Same procedure applies to a filter for your camera.
 
American Paper Optics makes them in the USA. Their website dedicated to Eclipse glasses is:
https://www.eclipseglasses.com/

I bought a bunch of them for the last eclipse and handed them out to the neighborhood. They at least used to also have viewers without the earpieces to be handheld, since these have a single large rectangular lens they work with cameras too.

I told the neighbors that if they returned the viewers to me, I would keep the for the next eclipse (that's the upcoming one in October).

(The company also does bulk orders, 3D glasses, and custom orders)

Cheers,
Tom
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: russ_watters
Awesome. Thanks. Don't want to burn my eyes or camera out. Lol.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn, DennisN and Drakkith
I know that some libraries do some solar eclipse sponsoring (I think the program is called SEAL), my public library has free solar eclipse glasses. They work out okay