Where to buy telescope that measures spectrum?

In summary: Be sure to set the telescope to the correct focal length for the spectral region of interest.In summary, Andrew would start by measuring the spectrum of a light source with a spectrometer, then attach the spectrometer to the eyepiece of a telescope to get spectrum of a star. He would have to know the focal length of the telescope for the spectral region of interest in order to do this. His budget is not important, as he can purchase a spectrometer for under $10.
Duo Tao
Hi,

I am going into the field of astrophysics and I am going to make my career a hobby, too.

I want to buy a telescope that can measure the spectrum with CCD (astronomical spectroscopy) in a range of several hundreds of light years (like the Big Dipper). Does anyone know where can I get it?

Much appreciated.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Likes davenn
Duo Tao said:
I am going into the field of astrophysics and I am going to make my career a hobby, too.

I want to buy a telescope that can measure the spectrum with CCD (astronomical spectroscopy) in a range of several hundreds of light years (like the Big Dipper). Does anyone know where can I get it?
I'm having trouble parsing this question.

1. What does distance have to do with anything?
2. Isn't the detector what you are really looking for, not the telescope? Seems to me the telescope is less important...

And:
3. Have you done any astronomy? What equipment are you currently using?
4. What is your budget?

Likes davenn and stefan r
I would start with plain spectroscopy. Measure the spectrum of a light source. The detector needs to work in the frequency range you are interested in. Isaac Newton started with sunlight as a source and looked at visible light using his eyes as a detector. You can get an acrylic glass prism on Amazon for under $10.

You can cut a diffraction grating out off a dvd. Use your i-phone or web cam as a detector. There are also transmissive diffraction lens slides also for less than $10 from amazon or e-bay. Avoid the diffraction lens designed for ravers that make weird shapes, cheaper might be better. This wired article shows how to make a spectrometer using a cereal box.

To get spectrum of a star you need to attach the spectrometer to the eyepiece of a telescope.

Likes unusually_wrong

1. Where can I find a telescope that measures the spectrum?

The best place to find a telescope that measures the spectrum is online. There are many reputable websites that specialize in selling scientific equipment, including telescopes with spectrometer capabilities. Some popular options include Amazon, Optics Planet, and Orion Telescopes.

2. How much does a telescope that measures the spectrum cost?

The cost of a telescope that measures the spectrum can vary greatly depending on the brand, features, and quality. On average, a basic spectrometer telescope can range from $300 to $1000. However, more advanced and specialized models can cost upwards of $10,000.

3. What features should I look for in a telescope that measures the spectrum?

When searching for a telescope that measures the spectrum, there are a few key features to consider. These include the type of spectrometer (dispersive or Fourier transform), the wavelength range, the spectral resolution, and the sensitivity. It's also important to consider the size and portability of the telescope, as well as any additional accessories or software that may be needed.

4. Can I use a regular telescope to measure the spectrum?

No, a regular telescope is not equipped with the necessary components to measure the spectrum. A spectrometer telescope has a specialized instrument called a spectrometer that splits the light into its component wavelengths and measures their intensity. This is not a feature that a regular telescope has.

5. How do I know if a telescope that measures the spectrum is right for me?

Before purchasing a telescope that measures the spectrum, it's important to consider your specific needs and goals. If you are a beginner or simply interested in stargazing, a regular telescope may be a better option. However, if you are a scientist or researcher looking to study and analyze celestial objects in detail, a telescope with spectrometer capabilities would be more suitable. It's also helpful to read reviews and consult with experts to determine the best telescope for your needs and budget.