Where to Find a 24-Hour Wall Clock for Easy Timekeeping Across Timezones

  • Thread starter Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Clock
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
65 replies · 16K views
If one were to design a completely new analog clock to avoid misinterpretation due to conflict with the existing 12 hour pattern, how about a linear (rectangular) display of numbers that are rotating orthogonal to the display directions. Also forget AM/PM and go with Day/Night. Day would be black numbers on white (daytime) background, night would be white numbers on black background. Horizontal red line across the middle of the rectangle = "now". Numbers move up. (should probably draw a picture).

This could be fairly easily constructed as a paper (e.g. tyvek) loop on rollers top and bottom. Then just a standard clock drive (i.e. correct gearing) to get it to run at the right speed.

I think that would be instantly intuitive.

I might add that to my construction project list just for the heck of it.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Moonbear said:
This actually gets very annoying at work on the elevator near the cafeteria at lunch time, because people will decide to wait for the next "less crowded" elevator, but keep pressing the button before the crowded elevator leaves, so the door keeps opening again. :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js7Nz6n6h6Y
 
rolerbe said:
If one were to design a completely new analog clock to avoid misinterpretation due to conflict with the existing 12 hour pattern, how about a linear (rectangular) display of numbers...

It was Moonie who pointed out that digital clocks defeat the visual pneumonic of hand-angle = time. Once you break that, your brain is forced to actually read the time.

So, back to your idea: is it any better than simply using a standard digital clock? OK, well, I like the black/white aspect - that's very intuitive.
 
DaveC426913 said:
It was Moonie who pointed out that digital clocks defeat the visual pneumonic of hand-angle = time. Once you break that, your brain is forced to actually read the time.

So, back to your idea: is it any better than simply using a standard digital clock? OK, well, I like the black/white aspect - that's very intuitive.

Oh, so now you're showimg favoritism for Moonie over me, eh. Well, this isn't the first time that this has happened. Hah. Like I care...
 
Signing up, because I've been looking for a 'proper' 24 hour clock, as I fundamentally think it's just more natural - as you say, working across timezones, having a 'it's 5 hours later' on a 24 hour dial, is considerably more intuitive.
On my phone, I've got this app loaded:
http://terratime.net/clock.html

It does a 24 hour clock, with markings for daylight times, moonrise and moon set (and will let you do things like invert the clock, with either noon or midnight on top, and mark time in 'standard' or '24 hour' notation, depending on preference).
I'd love to find a wall clock that did essentially that.

However the best wall clock I've found - with this notion in mind - is from Seldec Maritime:
http://www.seldecpublishing.co.uk/clocks/
Specifically, the: "DAY & NIGHT 24 HOUR CLOCK".
The problem I have with military time, is I am still firmly fixed that noon is 'on top', because that's when the sun is highest in the sky. And most military clocks are thus 'upside down' to my way of thinking.

Yes Watches are also similarly - 24 hour, analogue and show times of sunlight, making it very clear with timezone offsets where 'in the day' they are. But they're a bit pricey, and not available as a 'wall clock'.

Edit: And somewhat foolishly, have now realized that '10' is last year, not this year, meaning this discussion is about a whole year out of date.
My apologies for the threat necromancy.
 
Last edited by a moderator: