Where to find essays by professors?

• Thread starter majinknight
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Professors
In summary, the conversation is about a student who is struggling to find university-written essays to use as references for their literary essay on the novel The Stone Angel. They express frustration with the difficulty of finding such essays on the internet and question the purpose of using them in the first place, as it goes against the idea of writing original essays. However, their English teacher requires the use of these essays, so the student is reluctantly seeking them out.
majinknight
Hi i am currently about to write a literary essay on the novel The Stone Angel by Margaret Laurence. For my English class we have to research essays written by others, namely proffesors or people with degrees, which we have same agreements to quote. I am having a problem in finding essays on the internet that are not either you have to pay for, or are written by some random person. I searched two Universities, University of Toronto being one of them, and still had no luck in finding any. Would anyone have a site which actually has University written essays on various classic pieces of literature or am i going to have to actually go to these universities to find one?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why exactly do you need them? Wouldn't the logical thing to do in an english class be to write your own essay?

I think the same way as you do, i see no point in having to have them since we are suppose to be writing essays of our origonal ideas but my english teacher wants us to find essays by people in university, or schloars of whom we agree with upon an idea of the literature so we can quote them. I don't agree with the system, i just follow it.

1. Where can I find essays written by professors?

Many universities have online databases or repositories where they store essays and publications written by their professors. You can also check academic search engines such as JSTOR, Google Scholar, or Academic Search Premier. Additionally, many professors have personal websites or blogs where they may share their essays.

2. Are there any specific subject areas that are more likely to have essays written by professors?

Most universities have a wide range of subjects covered by their professors, so you can find essays on almost any topic. However, some subjects may have a higher number of published essays, such as literature, philosophy, and social sciences.

3. Can I access these essays for free?

Many universities allow free access to their online databases for current students and faculty. If you are not affiliated with a university, you may have to pay a fee to access these essays. However, some websites, such as Project MUSE and HathiTrust, offer free access to a large collection of academic publications.

4. How can I ensure the credibility and quality of these essays?

You can check the credentials of the professor who wrote the essay, such as their education, research experience, and publications. Additionally, you can look for peer-reviewed essays, which have been evaluated and approved by other experts in the field. Finally, reading reviews and recommendations from other readers can also give you an idea of the quality of the essay.

5. Can I use these essays in my own research or academic work?

Yes, you can use these essays as sources for your research or academic work. However, it is essential to properly cite and give credit to the original author. Plagiarism is a serious offense in the academic world, so make sure to follow proper citation guidelines and avoid copying the content of these essays without proper attribution.