Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Where to find in-depth info about each star's composition?

1. Apr 29, 2017 #1
    Hello.

I couldn't sum my entire question in the title, so here it goes:

I have a friend that needs information about the content of Iodine and Molybdenum in stars (from as much stars as he can).

There are references to the content of many stars in books and papers, but most of them don't give details about these elements (and neither about many other).

So, my questions are:

1) Are there sources with more in-depth information about the chemical content of stars, preferably about a good amount of stars (like a catalog)?

2) If not, is there any good database with data of star spectra that i could use in an program to analyse it and give me an more detailed output?

I'm an programmer, so programming itself is not an issue for me. What i want to know is about the avaliability of such data, the possibility of doing such analysis with any existing database and the mathematical background involved in computing these informations from the avaliable data (if any).

So far, I haven't found any source giving this specific information about each star in a catalog style.

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2017 #2

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Vizier,http://vizier.u-strasbg.fr/viz-bin/VizieR, might be a place to look. They have an enormous collection of catalogs. I'm not saying it will be easy to find exactly what you are looking for, but, it's as good a place as any to browse and see what is available. I did a quick check for chemical abundances of stars and found several candidate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted