1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where to start? It's been a long time since I've been in any sort of education.

1. Dec 5, 2011 #1
    Hello guys, I'm new to the forums and am in need of some guidance.

I left secondary school in 2008 with beyond terrible GCSE's. All my school life I had been an exceptionally hard worker, and had been predicted A's in most of my GCSE's. Then something happened in my life that crushed me, changed me. I couldn't concentrate on anything. I spent my time playing highly technical computer games like starcraft to keep my mind busy.

Anyway, enough of that, now I've just turned 20, I'm looking to get back into education. Where do I start? I have no A levels and no GCSE's that any good university would consider. I know without a doubt that I want to study Maths, Science and Physics. These are the only subjects I truly ever enjoyed, and I really had/have a passion for physics most of all.

If you haven't guessed by now, yes I'm currently living in England, soon to be Scotland. I've been trying to self educate myself as much as possible until I get back to education.

What are my choices?

Thanks.

John

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2011 #2
  4. Dec 6, 2011 #3

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey NinetyOne and welcome to the forums.

Mepris websites are very good, but just remember you will probably be starting a calculus based course in your first year of university and you are not expected to have mastered it, so keep that in mind.

Also an important thing to note is that physics is very mathematics driven in university unlike in high school where it may not very well be that way.

You might also benefit by reading the Feynmann lectures on Physics which is a good companion for physics students.

5. Dec 6, 2011 #4

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A good first step in the UK would be the careers advice service at your local further education college. Work out a plan to get some GSCE and A levels, that fits with the rest of your lifestyle. You should be able to study part time or at evening classes if are working.

The education systems in England and Scotland are not identical, but I expect the Scottish system has something equivalent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook