Where would the electric field be strongest on a charged metal object?

  • Thread starter Thread starter cheerspens
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Charge Metal
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
cheerspens
Messages
92
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The picture for my question is attached. I labeled on the picture, which is a metal object, where I thought the distribution of charges on the surface would be if it has a net negative charge and the electric field lines near the surface.
  • At what point on this object would be most likely to receive a chock if you brought your hand near?
  • Which point, A or B, on theis object's surface will be at the highest potential?

Homework Equations


No equations for this.


The Attempt at a Solution


For the first question, I want to say the answer would be in the region where the negative charges (electrons) are located. Is this correct?
For the second question, I'm confused because I want to say that the potentials would be equal.
 
Attachments
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 438
Physics news on Phys.org
On a charged conductor charges tend to get concentrated at pointy bits. The field strength spikes at, well, spikes! This is why high voltage systems (like Tesla coils and Van de Graff generator accumulators) tend to be smooth surfaced and often spherical, to minimize the radius of curvature of the components.

To understand why this might be, consider the mutual forces that act between like charges residing on the surface of a conductor. What's the general direction of those force vectors on a smooth (flat) surface? How about on a pointy needle?