Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where's the Photon in Electromagnetism?

1. Sep 28, 2010 #1
    While light's photon is manifested where's the photon in electromagnetic radiation? Does it show up in some materials?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2010 #2
    I don't understand what you mean by "where"? You can see where a photon hits a detector screen... is that what you're getting at? I'm also not clear if you understand that light IS electromagnetic radiation, and all EM spectra has the same quanta: the photon.
  4. Sep 29, 2010 #3
    In the double slit experiment for example, if we replace the light 'gun' with an electromagnetic 'gun' will we expect to see photons also or do we have to replace the detector screen that reacts to electromagnetic radiation.
  5. Sep 29, 2010 #4
    Hi there,

I have the same comment as nismaratwork. Since light is an electromagnetic radiation, what would differ in your "gun", whether visible light or any other electromagnetic radiation is emitted???

6. Sep 29, 2010 #5
    Thank you for your replies because of which i have cleared up my own confusion: it has something to do with the 'detector' screen. If such screen merely reflects photons then we get to see light's bands but not other electromagnetic radiation because of course our eyes are only sensitive to light's frequency, but if the detector screen will somehow chemically react to the photons enough to create big visible spots (for example) then irregardless of which electromagnetic radiation we'll see the bands.

I got confused with what detector screens are used by these online double slit experiment videos.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  7. Sep 29, 2010 #6

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Photons are governed by quantum mechanical effects.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook