Where's the Photon in Electromagnetism?

In summary: So, if you replace the light gun with an electromagnetic gun, won't you see photons? In other words, will the light show up as a spectrum on the screen, just as it does with an optical light gun?Yes, photons will show up in the spectrum of the electromagnetic radiation.
richerrich
While light's photon is manifested where's the photon in electromagnetic radiation? Does it show up in some materials?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
richerrich said:
While light's photon is manifested where's the photon in electromagnetic radiation? Does it show up in some materials?
Thanks

I don't understand what you mean by "where"? You can see where a photon hits a detector screen... is that what you're getting at? I'm also not clear if you understand that light IS electromagnetic radiation, and all EM spectra has the same quanta: the photon.

nismaratwork said:
I don't understand what you mean by "where"? You can see where a photon hits a detector screen... is that what you're getting at? I'm also not clear if you understand that light IS electromagnetic radiation, and all EM spectra has the same quanta: the photon.

In the double slit experiment for example, if we replace the light 'gun' with an electromagnetic 'gun' will we expect to see photons also or do we have to replace the detector screen that reacts to electromagnetic radiation.

Hi there,

I have the same comment as nismaratwork. Since light is an electromagnetic radiation, what would differ in your "gun", whether visible light or any other electromagnetic radiation is emitted?

Cheers

Thank you for your replies because of which i have cleared up my own confusion: it has something to do with the 'detector' screen. If such screen merely reflects photons then we get to see light's bands but not other electromagnetic radiation because of course our eyes are only sensitive to light's frequency, but if the detector screen will somehow chemically react to the photons enough to create big visible spots (for example) then regardless of which electromagnetic radiation we'll see the bands.

I got confused with what detector screens are used by these online double slit experiment videos.

Last edited:
Photons are governed by quantum mechanical effects.

1. Where does the photon come from?

The photon does not have a definite location or origin. It is a fundamental particle that is created and destroyed through interactions with other particles.

2. How does the photon interact with matter?

The photon interacts with matter through the electromagnetic force. This force is responsible for all interactions between charged particles, including the absorption and emission of photons.

3. Can we see individual photons?

No, we cannot see individual photons with the naked eye. However, we can indirectly detect them through their interactions with matter, such as in the form of light or other electromagnetic radiation.

4. How does the photon travel through space?

The photon travels through space at the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. It does not require a medium to travel through, and its speed is constant in a vacuum.

5. How does the photon carry energy?

The photon carries energy through its oscillating electric and magnetic fields. The energy of a photon is directly proportional to its frequency, meaning that higher frequency photons have more energy than lower frequency ones.