Which airplane has higher kinetic energy: same speed vs half mass and double speed?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
rearview
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Which has a higher kinetic energy?
An airplane traveling at the speed of sound or an airplane with half the weight of plane one and traveling at 2 times the speed of sound?

Homework Equations


KE = 1/2 mv^2
v=gt

The Attempt at a Solution


I think I am just get mixed up on words. If they were the same weight the plane going twice as fast would have 4 times the kinetic energy. (v=2^2=4).
I think I am going the wrong direction. Would their kinetic energy be the same? Since plane two weight is half but double the speed. Help
 
Physics news on Phys.org
E1 = (1/2)(m)(v^2)

E2 =(1/2)(0.5m)(2v^2)
E2 =(.5)(2^2)(1/2*m*v^2)
E2 =(.5)(2^2)(E1)
E2 = 2E1

I think you multiplied the final 2 by the half that is in the equation for kinetic energy.
 
Since the kinetic energy depends on the speed _squared_, doubling the speed will have more effect than doubling the mass. Try calculating both KE's.
 
I think I have it. Plane two will have the higher KE since KE is quadrupled with increase in speed. The weight is a factor but not as much as speed. Thanks