Which has higher Kinetic Energy?

In summary, a man throws a ball while riding in a car with high speed in the same direction of motion. When the car is not moving, the man throws the same ball and the question is in which case the ball possesses more kinetic energy. The initial velocity of the ball in the first case is the sum of the car's velocity and the ball's velocity, while in the second case, it is only the ball's velocity. Therefore, the ball will possess more kinetic energy when the car is at rest.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A man in an open car moving with high speed. throws a ball with his full capacity along the direction of motion of the car. Now, the same man throws the same ball when the car is not moving. In which case the ball possesses more kinetic energy:
a)in ground frame
b)in car frame

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

As seen from the ground frame and when the car is moving the ball's inital velocity is (vel of car+vel of ball). But when the car is at rest the ball's init velocity is only the ball's velocity. So in the first case KE must be higher but I think my solution is wrong as this is not the correct answer.
As seen from the car frame and when the car is moving the ball's relative velocity = Ball's Velocity-Car's Velocity.But when the car is at rest, the ball's relative velocity is equal to its own velocity. So in the second case KE must be higher but this too is wrong. I can't understand where I'm going wrong. Please help me to point out my mistakes and also tell the correct answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
So the man throws the ball while riding in the car so the balls velocity relative to the car is the balls velocity. No need to subtract the cars velocity from it.

But what about the first case when seen from ground?

Thanks. I knew where I did wrong. Actually the ball's velocity as seen from the ground frame when the car is moving = ball's velocity+car's velocity whereas when the car is at rest, the ball's velocity is equal to its own velocity. So in the second case KE must be higher and this is the correct answer. thanks again for the help.:)

In this scenario, the ball will possess more kinetic energy when thrown in the direction of motion of the car, regardless of whether the car is moving or at rest. This is because the initial velocity of the ball in the ground frame is higher when thrown in the direction of motion of the car, as it is the sum of the car's velocity and the ball's velocity. In the car frame, the ball's velocity will be the same in both cases, but the car itself will have kinetic energy when it is moving, which will contribute to the overall kinetic energy of the system. Therefore, the ball will have more kinetic energy when thrown in the direction of motion of the car, regardless of the reference frame.

What is Kinetic Energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

What is the formula for calculating Kinetic Energy?

The formula for calculating Kinetic Energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

Which has higher Kinetic Energy, an object with a larger mass or an object with a higher velocity?

An object with a higher velocity will have a higher Kinetic Energy, as it is directly proportional to the square of velocity.

Can the Kinetic Energy of an object be negative?

No, the Kinetic Energy of an object cannot be negative as it is a measure of its energy of motion and cannot have a negative value.

How does Kinetic Energy relate to potential energy?

Kinetic Energy and potential energy are two forms of energy that are interrelated. Kinetic Energy can be converted into potential energy and vice versa. For example, when a ball is thrown upwards, it has high Kinetic Energy at the point of release, but as it reaches the highest point, it has zero velocity and maximum potential energy. As it falls back down, it converts its potential energy into Kinetic Energy.