Which Anti-Virus Program Comes Out on Top in Consumer Reports' June 2011 Issue?

• Calculators
  • Thread starter mathman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Programs
In summary, anti-virus programs are designed to protect devices from harmful software such as viruses, worms, and Trojans. They work by constantly scanning for malware and using a database of known threats. Different types and versions of anti-virus programs exist, and it's important to research and compare to find the most effective one for your device. While a firewall is important, it does not provide the same level of protection as an anti-virus program.
mathman
Science Advisor
The June 2011 issue of Consumer Reports has an article comparing various anti-virus software packages. Among the free packages it recommends Avira and AVG. Bitdefender rates highest among pay packages.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I like Maximum PC's reviews =P

Avira is good. I used it to replace webroot [subscription AV]. AVG is also good. I tried it too, but, is a bit slow for my taste.

What is the purpose of anti-virus programs?

The main purpose of anti-virus programs is to protect computers and other electronic devices from malicious software, also known as malware. This includes viruses, worms, Trojans, and other types of harmful programs that can infect a device and cause damage or steal personal information.

How do anti-virus programs work?

Anti-virus programs work by constantly scanning a device for any signs of malware. They use a database of known viruses and other threats to identify and remove any malicious software that may be present. Some programs also use heuristic analysis, which allows them to detect and block new or unknown threats.

What are the different types of anti-virus programs?

There are several types of anti-virus programs, including traditional or signature-based programs, which rely on a database of known threats, and behavioral-based programs, which monitor a device's behavior for any suspicious activity. There are also free and paid versions of anti-virus programs, as well as programs designed specifically for different operating systems.

Are all anti-virus programs equally effective?

No, not all anti-virus programs are equally effective. Some may have a larger database of known threats, while others may have better heuristic analysis capabilities. It's important to research and compare different programs to find one that best suits your needs and provides the most comprehensive protection for your specific device.

Do I still need an anti-virus program if I have a firewall?

Yes, having a firewall is important for protecting your device against external threats, but it does not provide the same level of protection as an anti-virus program. Firewalls primarily block incoming traffic, while anti-virus programs also scan for and remove any malicious software that may already be present on a device.