Which are the best musics of all times?

• Thread starter Theatre Of Fate
  • Start date
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
learningphysics said:
BTW, why did people hate disco with such a passion (the whole record burning phenomenon)? Can anyone shed light on this? I've never seen such hatred expressed for any other musical style... not even country!
I think it was more a culture clash - Preps vs Rock & Rollers. I had friends who viscerally hated Disco and those who listened to it. I thought was way overboard.

I just didn't particuarly care for Disco, nor did I particularly care for Country or Country & Western, but I would never put someone down for liking something I didn't.

Evo
Mentor
Andre said:
Dance Macabre, Camille Saint-Saens
This brings back memories of third grade art. My teacher played the music and told us to draw what we saw. It was great to be allowed to "see" music. :approve:

I like classical music. Relaxing background music that you don't remember much. But I do not listen to music much. I suppose if I listened to classical a lot it would start to stick in my head also... I don't like songs with words because after hearing them many times they start playing in my head, which is distracting.

interesting how the science communities always like classical music. i guess 50cent or meticalla just wont inspire like classical lmao

honestrosewater
Gold Member
Nobody likes a Tchaikovsky march or waltz? And the 1812 doesn't get a mention? Especially from people who like Karajan? I think Karajan and Tchaikovsky are perfect for each other.

When I want something explosive, I look to Tchaikovsky or Beethoven. Who else is good here?

For pure joy- Händel or Pachelbel's Canon in D. Others?

I usually want something quieter, pensive. My favorites here are (The piano and cello are also my favorite intruments.)
Chopin's Nocturnes or Etude in E Major Op. 10, No. 3, "Chanson de l'Adieu"- has anyone else heard this?
Bach's Cello Suites
Beethoven's 'Pathetique': II Adagio cantabile

Do any Motown people listen to the Temptations?

honestrosewater said:
When I want something explosive, I look to Tchaikovsky or Beethoven. Who else is good here?
biber's missa salisburgensis or bach's b minor mass. the missa salisburgensis was written to be played in the salzberg cathedral which has awful acoustics, everything echoes. biber couldn't write anything too complicated or else it would just mush together, so it's more or less just random blasting with trumpets & trombones for 1hr.

For pure joy- Händel or Pachelbel's Canon in D. Others?
again, biber's missa salisburgensis & bach's b minor mass. or maybe bach's goldberg variations. i talked to a lady who listened to a lot of jazz & she liked the goldberg variations because they sounded just like little improvs, the playing/writing was so expressive.

I usually want something quieter, pensive. My favorites here are (The piano and cello are also my favorite intruments.)
Bach's Cello Suites
the cello suites is probbaly my favourite music. i've got ~23 recordings + a couple on order & they're all great in their own way. i've also got ~15 recordings of the solo violin stuff.

no, i like syreeta

Last edited:
Well, here's my top ten:

1) 'Unsterblich' - Die Toten Hosen
2) 'Zombie' - The Cranberries (first single I ever bought)
3) 'MFG' - Die Fantastischen Vier
4) 'The Orginal Song of Bacardi Rum' from the Bacardi Feeling album
5) 'Razorblade Kiss' - HIM
6) 'Lemontree' - Fool's Garden
7) 'Don't Speak' - No Doubt
8) 'The Scientist (acoustic version)' - Coldplay
9) 'Reimemonster' and 'The Return of Reimemonster'- Afrob featuring Ferris MC (yeah, 2 songs, I know, but they sort of belong together)
10) 'Counting Crows' - Mr Jones

Lol, yeah, I know, not a single piece of classical music in my list, oh well... :-p

Blimey - lots of Classical music here.

For me, the all time best track ever made is Sex Pistols - Anarchy in the UK

Put that on full blast on the stereo and leap around wildly..

Great stuff.

Other favourites:
Teenage kicks - The Undertones
Voodoo Chile - Hendrix
Wild Thing - The Trogs (I sing that whilst racing my motorcycle...)
White Rabbit - Jefferson Airplane (Ah those old hallucinogenic daze.....

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
honestrosewater said:
And Gladys Knight and the Pips
Curtiss Mayfield (and the Impressions) - remember "Superfly"
Isaac Hayes - "Shaft"
The O'Jays
Aretha Franklin
Stevie Wonder
Smokey Robinson
The Four Tops

to name a few :biggrin: