1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which branch of mathematics predominates here?

1. Apr 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    As the title says, which branch of mathematics predominates in the equation below?

2. Relevant equations
    2f1fc3e38c088d1cbf642418fdae2052.png

Source: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Macroeconomics/Optimal_Growth

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not very familiar with the max operator, and don't really know where it comes from. However, I'm familiar with the summation notation used here.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2012 #2
    I don't understand your obsession with posting formulae that come from economics and then asking which branch of math predominates the equation. Why is this something that you even want to know? What is your endgame? This is atleas the third such post you have made; I am really quite confused.

Max just means to take the maximum value of a set. Again, the wikipedia article that YOU site gives what the set is over which the max is taken.

4. Apr 9, 2012 #3
    Maybe he's just curious, it doesn't hurt to ask.

I haven't seen the formula, although it looks like some kind of mathematical series from Calculus.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook