1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which classes should I enroll in?

1. Mar 17, 2006 #1
    So it's about time to enroll in classes for the fall semester, and I've finally gotten to the point where I can actually choose my physics classes (instead of falling a specific track of classes). It looks like my choices are:
    1) Physical measurements, the advanced laboratory class. I have to take this eventually.
    2) Mathematical physics, which supposedly teaches all the math you need in other physics classes.
    3) Astrophysics
    4) Thermal physics
    5) Electricity and Magnetism (I have to take this eventually).
    5) Introduction to elementary particle physics. The fact that it's called "introduction to elementary" kind of scares me.

Any thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2006 #2
    You should ask your college advisor. However, I personally like to take what is required first and so after finishing all that is required I can focus on the courses I truly like.

4. Mar 18, 2006 #3
    Useful to know would be:
    -The courses you've taken
    -What you need to take
    -Your particular interests and plans
    -What the standard physics major track is at your school
    -How much physics you want to do
    -The level of these courses
    -All the other factors about instructors, subject areas, etc.

So it's impossible for us to reasonable evaluate this for you. Talk to your adviser.

That said, you probably want to take the mathematical physics class, and you probably want to take it sooner rather than later, because it will be very handy.

5. Mar 18, 2006 #4
    Depends on what you enjoy.
    Honestly, 2, 5 and 5 (the two 5s... :P) look interesting to me and the others look super boring. However, I guess it all depends on how comfortable you are with your physics-- I'm more of a particle/electromagnetism/math guy myself.

6. Mar 18, 2006 #5
    Yeah, I was thinking that E and M and particle physics would be interesting. I don't really want to take mathematical physics, mostly because my friends who took it last year told me the teacher was really bad. I really don't know anything about astrophysics or thermal physics. Basically, I'm required to take a few classes like physical measurements and E and M, bu other than that I just have to take a bunch of physics electives, so anything on this list would count.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?