Which classes should I enroll in?

• Thread starter pi-r8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Classes
In summary, the choices for classes this fall semester are: -Physical measurements, the advanced laboratory class-Mathematical physics, which supposedly teaches all the math you need in other physics classes-Astrophysics-Thermal physics-Electricity and Magnetism (I have to take this eventually)-Introduction to elementary particle physics-Any thoughts?Your adviser should be able to help you choose the classes that will best suit your interests and goals.
pi-r8
So it's about time to enroll in classes for the fall semester, and I've finally gotten to the point where I can actually choose my physics classes (instead of falling a specific track of classes). It looks like my choices are:
1) Physical measurements, the advanced laboratory class. I have to take this eventually.
2) Mathematical physics, which supposedly teaches all the math you need in other physics classes.
3) Astrophysics
4) Thermal physics
5) Electricity and Magnetism (I have to take this eventually).
5) Introduction to elementary particle physics. The fact that it's called "introduction to elementary" kind of scares me.

Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should ask your college advisor. However, I personally like to take what is required first and so after finishing all that is required I can focus on the courses I truly like.

Useful to know would be:
-The courses you've taken
-What you need to take
-Your particular interests and plans
-What the standard physics major track is at your school
-How much physics you want to do
-The level of these courses
-All the other factors about instructors, subject areas, etc.

So it's impossible for us to reasonable evaluate this for you. Talk to your adviser.

That said, you probably want to take the mathematical physics class, and you probably want to take it sooner rather than later, because it will be very handy.

pi-r8 said:
So it's about time to enroll in classes for the fall semester, and I've finally gotten to the point where I can actually choose my physics classes (instead of falling a specific track of classes). It looks like my choices are:
1) Physical measurements, the advanced laboratory class. I have to take this eventually.
2) Mathematical physics, which supposedly teaches all the math you need in other physics classes.
3) Astrophysics
4) Thermal physics
5) Electricity and Magnetism (I have to take this eventually).
5) Introduction to elementary particle physics. The fact that it's called "introduction to elementary" kind of scares me.

Any thoughts?
Depends on what you enjoy.
Honestly, 2, 5 and 5 (the two 5s... :P) look interesting to me and the others look super boring. However, I guess it all depends on how comfortable you are with your physics-- I'm more of a particle/electromagnetism/math guy myself.

Yeah, I was thinking that E and M and particle physics would be interesting. I don't really want to take mathematical physics, mostly because my friends who took it last year told me the teacher was really bad. I really don't know anything about astrophysics or thermal physics. Basically, I'm required to take a few classes like physical measurements and E and M, bu other than that I just have to take a bunch of physics electives, so anything on this list would count.

1. What classes should I enroll in to fulfill my major requirements?

It is important to consult with your academic advisor to determine which classes are required for your major. They can provide you with a list of recommended courses and help you create a plan to fulfill your major requirements.

2. Can I enroll in classes outside of my major?

Yes, most universities allow students to take classes outside of their major as electives. This can be a great opportunity to explore different subjects and broaden your knowledge.

3. How do I know if a class is too difficult for me?

It is important to have a balance of challenging and manageable classes. You can talk to your advisor or other students who have taken the class to get an idea of the workload and difficulty level. You can also check the course syllabus for more information.

4. Are there any classes that are highly recommended by students?

Student reviews and recommendations can be a great resource when deciding which classes to enroll in. You can also look up the professor's ratings and read reviews on websites like RateMyProfessors.

5. Can I enroll in a class that is full?

Some universities have waitlists for popular classes, while others may allow students to overload and take more credits than the maximum. It is best to check with your academic advisor or the professor to see if there are any options for enrolling in a full class.