Which compound starts fires with glycerin: KMnO4 or KFO2N?

  • Thread starter Thread starter DozerIAm
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Difference
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
DozerIAm
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I hope I can get some help here, I am looking for a layman's explanation of the difference between Layman's difference between KMnO4 & KFO2N.

I ask because in last year's seasons of several survival tv shows, they showed them starting fires via a chemical reaction between Glycerin and Potassium Permanganate. I did some research, and Potassium Permanganate is sold as a fish pond chemical. Here is where it gets interesting. If you do a Google search on Potassium Permanganate, you see chemical supply houses selling KMnO4, and you see pool supply stores selling it under the name "pot-perm", but in small print you may be getting either KMnO4 or KFO2N.

Which is the one they likely used on the tv shows to start fires?
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
KFO2N is not a chemical name while potassium permanganate (KMnO4) is.

"KFO2N" is a product name like "409" cleaner.

...but in small print you may be getting either KMnO4 or KFO2N.
Where is this 'fine print' you referred to?
 
Great, that clears it up, thank you!

The small print I referred to is usually text on the sticker on the front of the bottle, somewhere below the giant print "POT PERM". Some said KMnO4, some said KFO2N, and some just didn't say. Thanks for laying it out for me, now it makes sense.
 
OK, I thought maybe the KFO2N was in the small print of the ingredient list.