PhD in Computational/Theoretical Neuroscience

In summary: He is very knowledgable and has published extensively in the field. He also runs a research group that is focused on computational/theoretical neuroscience.
bhachen
Hi,

I am currently a 2nd year grad student at Johns Hopkins majoring in Biomedical Engineering. I am working in the field of neuroengineering for my masters thesis. I plan to apply for a PhD in theoretical/computational neuroscience for the Fall of 2014.

My academic background consists of bioengineering major and chemical engineering minor in undergrad and biomedical engineering major in masters.

During my undergrad I have developed interests in membrane biophysics and started looking at the ion channels and their properties in neurons. I interned in research labs to gain some experience in the aspects of integrate and fire models of neurons using NEURON simulation environment. And for my bachelors thesis I worked on potential fluorescent dyes for biomembranes. I have good programming skills and quantitative skills.

Pursuing my interests in neuroscience, I am working on developing MEMS platforms to study axonal injuries in trauma in CNS. While taking courses to supplement my thesis, I took a course of Modeling in neurons and was propelled towards a PhD in the field of biophysical neuronal modeling.

I have gone through couple of posts in different threads mentioning about math, I have taken multivariable calculus, ODEs, PDEs, basic linear algebra in my freshmen and sophomore year. Though I need to brush them, I am inclined to do math. Also I have worked with non linear dynamical systems in modeling the biophysical neuron models.

I am aware of the fact the biophysical modeling of neurons falls under one of the branches of computational/theoretical neuroscience. But the thing I am not clear about is the background needed for applying in this particular field. If you could suggest me some good research groups and schools that work in this field of my interest that would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look up Andrey Kuznetzov and email him

Aero51 said:
Look up Andrey Kuznetzov and email him

Do you speak of the prof from NCSU?

Yes i have.

Hi there,

It sounds like you have a strong background in both engineering and neuroscience, which is a great combination for pursuing a PhD in computational/theoretical neuroscience. In terms of background, it is important to have a solid understanding of mathematics, particularly in areas such as calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations, as these are essential for modeling and analyzing neural systems. It sounds like you have already taken some of these courses, but it may be beneficial to review and strengthen your skills in these areas. Additionally, experience with programming and quantitative analysis will also be valuable in this field.

In terms of research groups and schools, there are many excellent options for pursuing a PhD in computational/theoretical neuroscience. Some top schools in this field include Caltech, MIT, and University of California San Diego. It would also be helpful to look into specific research groups or labs that align with your interests in membrane biophysics and neuronal modeling. You may also want to consider reaching out to professors or researchers in this field to learn more about their work and potential opportunities for graduate study. Good luck with your application process!

1. What is a PhD in Computational/Theoretical Neuroscience?

A PhD in Computational/Theoretical Neuroscience is a doctoral degree that focuses on the intersection of neuroscience and computer science. It involves using mathematical and computational methods to study the brain and its functions.

2. What are the career opportunities for someone with a PhD in Computational/Theoretical Neuroscience?

Graduates with a PhD in Computational/Theoretical Neuroscience can pursue careers in academia, research institutes, pharmaceutical companies, and tech companies. They can work as research scientists, data analysts, computational modelers, or professors.

3. What skills are required for a PhD in Computational/Theoretical Neuroscience?

Students pursuing a PhD in Computational/Theoretical Neuroscience should have a strong background in neuroscience, computer science, and mathematics. They should also have excellent analytical, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills.

4. How long does it take to complete a PhD in Computational/Theoretical Neuroscience?

The length of a PhD program in Computational/Theoretical Neuroscience can vary depending on the university and the individual's progress. On average, it can take 4-5 years to complete the program, including coursework, research, and dissertation writing.

5. What research opportunities are available for PhD students in Computational/Theoretical Neuroscience?

PhD students in Computational/Theoretical Neuroscience have the opportunity to conduct research in various areas, such as neural networks, machine learning, computational modeling of brain functions, and data analysis. They can also collaborate with other researchers and participate in conferences and workshops to present their work.