Which degree path to specalise in.

• Programs
  • Thread starter ldefeo1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree Path
In summary, as a second year mechanical engineering student at Southampton uni, you have the opportunity to choose a theme for your remaining 2 years of study. The available options are advanced materials, bioengineering, automotive, aerospace, and sustainable energy. While advanced materials may be an easy option with plenty of job opportunities, bioengineering and aerospace also sound interesting and potentially well-paid. The automotive theme, although fun, may have limited job opportunities in the UK due to the declining car sector. On the other hand, sustainable energy offers the chance to make a positive impact on the environment, but the number of available jobs in this field may be a concern. However, the speaker suggests that sustainable energy is a fast-moving and important industry with many potential job
ldefeo1
hi i am a second year mechanical engineer at Southampton uni, we get to choose a theme for the remaining 2 years.

the options i like the sound of are

advanced materials - should be quite an easy option and should be lots of jobs in this ?

bioengineering - sounds quite interesting might be well paid too i imagine

automotive theme, have always thought cars were fun but worried i might be limited at car sector in uk is drying up.

aerospace theme - i think planes are awesome and this could be a possibility

sustainable energy - this sounds really good and would be nice to do something for the environment however how many jobs are there realistically in this.
can anyone comment on these themes as to what they think they are like prospect wise and which sound interesting to you.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
ldefeo1 said:
sustainable energy - this sounds really good and would be nice to do something for the environment however how many jobs are there realistically in this.

I'd do this - it's really fast moving, important, and there are, and should be, many jobs available. Look at Japan! Nuclear looks like a bad option for the next few years... Even *if* it's a good option in theory, I can't see politicians, or business people, pushing it before you graduate... Oil is running out... Look at al those roofs without solar panels and gardens without windmills... Lots of potential business there!

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a degree path to specialize in?

When choosing a degree path to specialize in, it is important to consider your interests, strengths, and career goals. You should also research the job market and potential opportunities for your chosen degree specialization.

2. Is it better to choose a specific degree path or a more general one?

The answer to this question depends on your individual goals and preferences. A specific degree path may provide more focused knowledge and skills, while a more general one may offer a broader understanding of a subject area.

3. How do I know which degree path is right for me?

To determine which degree path is right for you, take some time to reflect on your interests, strengths, and career aspirations. You can also speak with academic advisors and professionals in your desired field for guidance and advice.

4. Can I switch to a different degree path if I change my mind later?

In most cases, it is possible to switch to a different degree path if you change your mind. However, it may require additional time and effort to catch up on courses and requirements for the new specialization.

5. Are there any benefits to double majoring or minoring in two different degree paths?

Double majoring or minoring in two different degree paths can provide a well-rounded education and make you more marketable to potential employers. It can also allow you to explore multiple interests and gain a diverse set of skills.