Which Engineering Path Aligns Best with My Career and Lifestyle Goals?

  • Thread starter Thread starter SELFMADE
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Engineer
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
SELFMADE
Messages
80
Reaction score
0
Chemical - 3 years left highest starting salary. Big city school i like
Electrical - 2 years left 60k starting salary. Big city school i like
Mining - 2.5 years left 65k starting salary. Small city meh

I am interested in all three if you want to advise to chose the one I am most interested in. Seems like biotech is going to be the next big industry, chem eng might help me in that. Also I guess chem engs also utilized in mining industry. Right now I am going with electrical. Electrical also seems to be one of those universal engineering degrees that is useful virtually in all industries. Both are needed also if I want to eventually supervise and own my own factory. Mining: really good placement after graduation. I am kinda interested in moving to a third world country and do a mine. I could swallow living in hick small town for 2 years. All three is workable thus starting salary and opportunities are important.

Or should I stick with EE and go for Chem E and then MS in mining? Then I'd be 32. Mind you I am going for 26 this year. Yes, started college late.

I am not going to ask what I need to do cus you won't be able to answer.

What would YOU choose? and why
 
Physics news on Phys.org
How will you finish an EE degree so much quicker than a ChemE degree?
 
btw, I'm a ChemE, but that's due in part to my home province (Alberta = oil sands = I can make money without having to move).
 
General_Sax said:
How will you finish an EE degree so much quicker than a ChemE degree?

I have 65 credits left for EE degree

For ChemE maybe 85
 
I would go with whatever field I enjoyed the most and (hopefully) was best at.
 
Im a ChemE, I would say Chemical is equally "universal" as electrical, probably even more so. You really can do everything with it.
 
SELFMADE said:
Mining: really good placement after graduation. I am kinda interested in moving to a third world country and do a mine. I could swallow living in hick small town for 2 years.

I wouldn't choose this. You are going to be doing whatever job you choose for 40 years. If you "could swallow living in hick small town for 2 years" it really doesn't seem like you are that into it.