Which equation for parabola coordinates

In summary, the standard form equation for a parabola is y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants and a is not equal to 0. The vertex of a parabola can be determined by finding the axis of symmetry, which is given by the formula x = -b/2a, and then substituting the x-coordinate into the equation for the parabola. A parabola can have a negative coefficient for the x^2 term, resulting in a parabola that opens downwards. It can have 0, 1, or 2 solutions depending on the value of the discriminant (b^2 - 4ac). The equation for a par
Husker70
What equation do you use to find any cordinate on a symetrical parabola?
I've been hunting and hunting..
I have the x value.

Thanks,
Kevin

Physics news on Phys.org
Parabolic shapes are second order. That is

y = A*x^2 + b

If you only have x, then I would just assume A = 1 and b = 0.

Hi Kevin,

The equation for a parabola in standard form is y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a is the coefficient of the squared term, b is the coefficient of the linear term, and c is the constant term. This equation can be used to find any coordinate on a symmetrical parabola by plugging in the given x value and solving for y. Alternatively, if you have the vertex of the parabola (h,k), you can use the equation y = a(x-h)^2 + k to find the coordinates on the parabola. I hope this helps! Keep hunting and don't give up. Best of luck to you.

1. What is the standard form equation for a parabola?

The standard form equation for a parabola is y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants and a is not equal to 0.

2. How do you determine the vertex of a parabola?

The vertex of a parabola can be determined by finding the axis of symmetry, which is given by the formula x = -b/2a. The y-coordinate of the vertex can then be found by substituting the x-coordinate into the equation for the parabola.

3. Can a parabola have a negative coefficient for the x^2 term?

Yes, a parabola can have a negative coefficient for the x^2 term. This will result in a parabola that opens downwards instead of upwards.

4. How many solutions can a parabola have?

A parabola can have 0, 1, or 2 solutions. If the discriminant (b^2 - 4ac) is positive, there will be 2 real solutions. If it is 0, there will be 1 real solution. If it is negative, there will be no real solutions.

5. Can the equation for a parabola have fractions or decimals?

Yes, the equation for a parabola can have fractions or decimals in the coefficients. This will result in a parabola that is stretched or compressed compared to the standard form equation.