• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Programs Which field of study teaches how to make electronic components

• Thread starter ndriana
  • Start date
Hello everyone,
I was wondering which field of study teaches how to make electronic components. For example, I would like to learn how to make resistors, caps, led, transistors... I have more or less of the theory, such as what the Dirac gaps are, if we talk about semiconductor... But what I really want to kn the actual instruments to use, how to aquire the supplies in the world mar etc

berkeman

Mentor
Hello everyone,
I was wondering which field of study teaches how to make electronic components. For example, I would like to learn how to make resistors, caps, led, transistors... I have more or less of the theory, such as what the Dirac gaps are, if we talk about semiconductor... But what I really want to kn the actual instruments to use, how to aquire the supplies in the world mar etc
EE and Physics for the technical electronics and solid state physics knowledge and background to design the components, and add in ME to design the production machines to produce the components.

For example, my fellow EEs and I have designed several transceiver PHYs for IoT communication, and we then worked with MEs to bring them to market. :smile:

Hope that helps.

CrysPhys

Education Advisor
EE and Physics for the technical electronics and solid state physics knowledge and background to design the components, and add in ME to design the production machines to produce the components.

For example, my fellow EEs and I have designed several transceiver PHYs for IoT communication, and we then worked with MEs to bring them to market. :smile:

Hope that helps.
In addition to the above, teams usually include members with backgrounds in materials science and engineering.