Which font does mathematica use?

In summary, the problem is that Mathematica doesn't use the Vera Sans font and it doesn't show certain Greek letters correctly. The workaround is to print the document to a pdf and reload it on the second screen.
JorisL
Hey,

I have this problem where mathematica doesn't show certain symbols (greek letters for example).
In my current working document I have introduced other symbols but in the end it'll become a mess because several variables show up with similar names.

Screenshot_20160315_130023.png

When I export as pdf it does show the greek symbols.

Screenshot_20160315_130111.png

What's worse is that it doesn't show the exponential functions' "e" in full nor the imaginary unit.

I tried finding out what causes this (I'm on linux with mathematica 10.0) but can't seem to find the answer.
Perhaps I should find out which font Mathematica normally uses. (which isn't that clear)

Any ideas how to fix this? I installed the mathematica fonts as a longshot which didn't work.

Thanks,

Joris

Physics news on Phys.org
JorisL said:
Perhaps I should find out which font Mathematica normally uses. (which isn't that clear)
Is there anything in preferences?

In the option inspector (preferences>advanced>option inspector) I found a mentioning of "Bitstream Vera Sans".
Upon inspection it turned out I didn't have it installed, I installed it but to no avail.

So I checked the font again, it doesn't support the Greek alphabet.
http://www.dafont.com/bitstream-vera-sans.font?text=Ξ+ξ

Now I'm checking out what the following command does in the global preferences file

Code:
PrivatePaths->{"Fonts"->{FrontEnd`FileName[{$PreferencesDirectory, "Fonts", "Type1"}], FrontEnd`FileName[{$TopDirectory, "SystemFiles", "Fonts", "Type1"}]}}

I'll keep you posted.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Well I'm stuck, the fontsystem mathematica uses really sucks (pardon my French).
I've been able to recuperate some greek symbols by removing them from FontMap.tr but they aren't really legible then.
Both the imaginary ##i## and the symbol used for Euler's constant ##e## don't show up that way.

Edit:
My current work around is to print to pdf whenever I evaluate some untested expression.
That way the pdf reloads on my second screen.

Are you on windows, mac or linux? Which version of MM?

If its Linux read this : https://reference.wolfram.com/language/tutorial/FontsOnLinux.html

1. What is the default font used in Mathematica?

The default font used in Mathematica is called "Arial".

2. Can I change the font in Mathematica?

Yes, you can change the font in Mathematica by going to the "Format" menu and selecting "Font" to choose a different font.

3. Does Mathematica support all fonts?

No, Mathematica does not support all fonts. It only supports fonts that are installed on your computer.

4. How do I know which font is currently being used in my Mathematica notebook?

To see which font is currently being used in your Mathematica notebook, you can select a text and go to the "Format" menu and select "Font". The currently selected font will be highlighted.

5. Can I use LaTeX fonts in Mathematica?

Yes, you can use LaTeX fonts in Mathematica by selecting "UseTexFont" in the "Format" menu and entering the name of the LaTeX font you want to use.