Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematica Which font does mathematica use?

1. Mar 15, 2016 #1
    Hey,

I have this problem where mathematica doesn't show certain symbols (greek letters for example).
    In my current working document I have introduced other symbols but in the end it'll become a mess because several variables show up with similar names.

Screenshot_20160315_130023.png

When I export as pdf it does show the greek symbols.

Screenshot_20160315_130111.png

What's worse is that it doesn't show the exponential functions' "e" in full nor the imaginary unit.

I tried finding out what causes this (I'm on linux with mathematica 10.0) but can't seem to find the answer.
    Perhaps I should find out which font Mathematica normally uses. (which isn't that clear)

Any ideas how to fix this? I installed the mathematica fonts as a longshot which didn't work.

Thanks,

Joris

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2016 #2
    Is there anything in preferences?

4. Mar 15, 2016 #3
    In the option inspector (preferences>advanced>option inspector) I found a mentioning of "Bitstream Vera Sans".
    Upon inspection it turned out I didn't have it installed, I installed it but to no avail.

So I checked the font again, it doesn't support the Greek alphabet.
    http://www.dafont.com/bitstream-vera-sans.font?text=Ξ+ξ

Now I'm checking out what the following command does in the global preferences file

Code ( (Unknown Language)):

PrivatePaths->{"Fonts"->{FrontEnd`FileName[{$PreferencesDirectory, "Fonts", "Type1"}], FrontEnd`FileName[{$TopDirectory, "SystemFiles", "Fonts", "Type1"}]}}

I'll keep you posted.

5. Mar 15, 2016 #4
    Well I'm stuck, the fontsystem mathematica uses really sucks (pardon my French).
    I've been able to recuperate some greek symbols by removing them from FontMap.tr but they aren't really legible then.
    Both the imaginary ##i## and the symbol used for Euler's constant ##e## don't show up that way.

Edit:
    My current work around is to print to pdf whenever I evaluate some untested expression.
    That way the pdf reloads on my second screen.

6. Mar 17, 2016 #5

Hepth

Gold Member

7. Mar 17, 2016 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted