Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which force mediates a reaction in which a pion and a deuteron form two protons?

1. Strong

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Weak

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Electromagnetic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jun 15, 2011 #1
    Which fundamental force mediates the reaction [itex]\pi^+ + D \rightarrow p + p[/itex]?

My initial assumption was the strong force because states only feature quarks (i.e. there are no leptons) but looking at it again I'm not 100% sure.

Do I need to include colour factors? Could it be a neutral current Z without lepton pair production? Or electromagnetic, photon absorbed by proton?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2011 #2
    am sure that the strong interaction mediates the reaction in which a pion and a deuteron form two protons.and yes u should include a color factor.the deuteron is made of a proton and neutron.the positive pion interacts with the neutron and leads to the formation of a proton .is a simple way a positve pion is made of up and anti down,and the neutron is made of ddu.so the down and anti down annihilate which leaves uud which is a proton.
    u can also read this paper made specifically for pre-university level to understand the pion exchange mechanism which include color charge and gluones.http://teachers.web.cern.ch/teachers/archiv/HST2002/feynman/Pion%20exchange.pdf" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook