Which formulas do I use to solve these pr

• Thread starter ProtoFLX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formulas
In summary, the individual has been assigned physics problems by their professor but lacks experience in the subject. They do not want someone to solve the problems for them, but instead would like to know what formulas are needed to solve problems 2-6. They plan to attempt solving the problems themselves and may ask for confirmation later. The recommended formulas are Newton's laws, conservation of momentum, and equations of motion.
ProtoFLX
I have been assigned several physics problems by my professor, but am not sure how to solve them due to my inexperience with physics (computer science major). It would obviously not help me if I asked somebody to solve all of the problems for me, but what I would like to know is what formulas I will need in order to solve problems 2-6. Once I know that, I will attempt to solve the problems myself and perhaps ask if my answers are correct later.

http://puu.sh/p81vf/fae582b13e.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Look up Newton's laws and conservation of momentum. May also need the equations of motion.

1. What is the general formula for solving a problem?

The general formula for solving a problem varies depending on the type of problem. However, the basic steps for solving any problem are: 1) Understand the problem, 2) Identify the relevant variables, 3) Use appropriate formulas and equations to manipulate the variables, 4) Solve for the unknown variable, and 5) Check your answer for accuracy.

2. How do I know which formula to use for a specific problem?

The best way to determine which formula to use for a problem is to carefully read and understand the problem, and then identify the known and unknown variables. Once you have identified the variables, you can use your knowledge of formulas and equations to determine which one is most appropriate for solving the problem.

3. Can I use the same formula for different types of problems?

No, different types of problems require different formulas. For instance, the formula for calculating the area of a circle is different from the formula for calculating the volume of a sphere. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem in order to determine which formula to use.

4. Are there any common formulas that I should know?

Yes, there are several common formulas that are used frequently in problem solving. These include formulas for calculating area, volume, distance, speed, and many others. It is helpful to familiarize yourself with these common formulas to make problem solving easier.

5. What should I do if I am unsure about which formula to use?

If you are unsure about which formula to use, you can consult a reference book or ask a colleague or teacher for help. You can also try breaking down the problem into smaller parts and using multiple formulas to solve it. With practice, you will become more familiar with different formulas and will be able to determine the most appropriate one to use for a given problem.