Which Has More Energy in Molecules: Rotational or Vibrational States?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Chronothread
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Rotational States
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Chronothread
Messages
51
Reaction score
0
I apologize for disregarding the template, but it did not seem necessary or practical for my question.

In molecules which has more energy, a rotational or vibrational state (first state for both)? I've just calculated the vibrational and rotational energy of an HCl molecule and my results show that the vibrational energy is dramatically less then the rotational energy. From previous knowledge I thought the vibrational energy would be more.

Thank you for your time.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
what is your question?

And how did you calculated it?

As far as I remember, the rot energy is larger than vib energy in molecules.
 
Ok, I did a little more work and I think you're right. Which means that my first calculations were correct then. Thanks.