Which is better? BS in Applied Math or Physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the advantages of pursuing a double degree in Applied Math and Physics for job opportunities. It also mentions the potential of finding employment as a teacher or in technology, but notes that entry-level positions may be limited. The suggestion of exploring engineering as a career path that combines both fields is also brought up.
Tony11235
If someone is to not go to graduate school, which degree is better? Which degree provides more job opportunites? Keep in mind I know there are not many, and this is not my situation. I'm just curious.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not try for a double in Applied Math and Physics? That's what I have, and there was only an extra year of work involved. As for job opportunities, teachers are always in short supply (especially for math). There is an abundance of technology jobs, but not a lot for entry level (even with graduate degrees), or so the ads say. You're college's career center if they have one) is a great resource for jobs.

If you're looking for something that will allow you to apply mathematics and physics, have you checked out engineering?

1. What is the difference between a BS in Applied Math and Physics?

A BS in Applied Math focuses on the practical application of mathematical concepts to solve real-world problems, while a BS in Physics studies the fundamental laws and principles of the physical world.

2. Which degree is more versatile in terms of career opportunities?

Both degrees can lead to a variety of career paths, but a BS in Applied Math may offer more diverse options in fields such as finance, data analysis, and engineering. A BS in Physics may be more specialized and geared towards careers in research, teaching, or technology development.

3. Is one degree considered more challenging than the other?

Both BS in Applied Math and Physics are rigorous programs that require strong analytical and problem-solving skills. However, some may find the mathematical concepts in Applied Math more challenging, while others may struggle with the abstract concepts in Physics.

4. Which degree has better job prospects?

Both degrees have strong job prospects, with opportunities in various industries such as technology, finance, research, and education. The demand for graduates with a BS in Applied Math may be slightly higher due to the increasing use of data and analytics in many fields.

5. Can I pursue a graduate degree in either field with a BS in Applied Math or Physics?

Yes, both degrees can serve as a solid foundation for pursuing a graduate degree in a related field. A BS in Applied Math can lead to a Master's or PhD in fields such as statistics, economics, or computer science, while a BS in Physics can lead to graduate studies in physics, astronomy, or engineering.