Which is faster, a golf ball or ping pong ball with equal kinetic energy?

  • Thread starter Thread starter fattydq
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ball Golf
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 13K views
fattydq
Messages
79
Reaction score
0
If a golf ball and a Ping-Pong ball both move with the same kinetic energy, can you say which has the greater speed? Explain in terms of the definition of kinetic energy.

Can you guys tell me if I'm thinking along the correct lines in my response...

Kinetic energy = 1/2 M*V^2.
Since the golf ball has a higher mass than the pingpong ball, the only way they could both have the same kinetic energy is if the golf ball has a slower speed.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ill said:
Correct!

K, thanks...haha I'll try to keep these questions to a minimum when they're so simple but it was so simple I felt like I was overlooking something haha