Which is the correct equation to use

• Thread starter David J
  • Start date
In summary, the magnetic flux changes from 10 mWb to 20 mWb over an unknown amount of time and induces an e.m.f. of 62.5 V in a 50 turn coil. To calculate the time, we can use either Equation 1 or Equation 2, which both represent Faraday's law. The difference lies in the use of negative or positive values for the number of turns in the coil. However, in this exercise, the signs do not matter. It is important to remember that nature tends to counteract change, as seen in Lenz's law.
David J
Gold Member

Homework Statement

If the magnetic flux linking all of the turns of a 50 turn coil changes from 10 mWb to 20 mWb and induces an e.m.f. of 62.5 V in the coil, calculate the time over which the flux changes

Homework Equations

Equation 1: E = - N x the change in flux / the change in time
Equation 2: E = N x the change in flux / the change in time

The Attempt at a Solution

I have seen this question on a number of occasions and the answer appear to be 0.8ms but my question is which is the correct equation to use? Equation 1 or Equation 2 and why are there 2 equations, one using -N and the other using N?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are talking about Faraday's law here. In your exercise they don't worry about the signs. If you have to worry about the sign, then it's good to remember that nature likes to counteract change. If an external magnetic field drops to zero, the induced emf will be such that a magnetic field due to that emf in the loop points in the same direction.

(And vice versa. See hyperphysics on the lower left: if you push a loop into a field, the induced field opposes the external field)

Apparently this counteracting has a name too: Lenz's law.

1. What is the correct equation to use for a specific problem?

The correct equation to use depends on the specific problem at hand. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem in order to determine which equation is most appropriate to use.

2. How do I know if I am using the correct equation?

You can check if you are using the correct equation by plugging in the given values and solving for the desired variable. If your answer matches the expected result, then you are using the correct equation.

3. Can I use more than one equation to solve a problem?

Yes, it is possible to use more than one equation to solve a problem. This may be necessary if the problem requires multiple steps or if the given values can be solved using different equations.

4. Are there any rules or guidelines for choosing the correct equation?

There are some general rules and guidelines that can help you choose the correct equation. These include identifying the known and unknown variables, understanding the relationship between them, and using the appropriate equation based on the given values.

5. What should I do if I am unsure which equation to use?

If you are unsure which equation to use, you can consult with a teacher, tutor, or other expert in the field. You can also do some research or practice problems to better understand the equations and their applications.