Which is worse; marihuana, alcohol or tobacco?

• Thread starter student85
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Alcohol
In summary, the conversation discusses the harmfulness of marijuana compared to tobacco and alcohol. While some sources claim that marijuana is more harmful to the lungs than tobacco, there have been no reported deaths directly attributed to marijuana use. Alcohol is said to do more damage to the brain, but many adults are able to drink in moderation and live healthy lives. The conversation also questions the impact of memory loss from marijuana, alcohol, and tobacco use and suggests that the negative perception of marijuana may be influenced by government propaganda. The individual participating in the conversation does not use tobacco or marijuana but drinks alcohol occasionally. The conversation is then closed due to the potential for it to turn into discussions of illegal drug use and substance abuse.
student85
I've tried looking for info but honestly I'm quite pissed at all the incoherence out there. Some sources say marihuana is like 3-4 times more harmful to your lungs than tobacco. However, according to wikipedia, there hasn't been a reported death directly attributed to marihuana...so how can that support the statement about the harmfulness of marihuana??
Alcohol, I've heard, does more damage to your brain than marihuana. Seriously, how bad can that damage be? Many, many adults drink alcohol all their lives and live on to healthy lives. Same goes for marihuana.
Perhaps smoking a joint or two weekly is fine...? Maybe the real harm comes when you abuse it. But still, I'd like to know what harm can a joint or two weekly do to you.
In my personal opinion, the US government has given marihuana a seriously bad image, while it is not that bad.
I've heard and read that marihuana damages your memory (specifically short term memory). But does alcohol and tobacco also have some effect on memory?
For the record, I don't smoke tobacco or marihuana. I just drink alcohol but usually just on weekends and special occasions.

So what do you guys think? Any info. or stories you can tell me on the matter, are appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I understand that marijuana smoke contains more carcinogens. Marijuana smokers don't generally smoke as much marijuana though as tobacco smokes smoke tobacco.

Here is the information on marijuana you requested.

http://www.nida.nih.gov/infofacts/marijuana.html

Since threads of this nature tend to degenerate into stories of illegal use and drug and alcohol abuse, thread locked.

What is the difference between marihuana, alcohol, and tobacco?

Marihuana, alcohol, and tobacco are all psychoactive substances that can cause changes in brain function and behavior. However, they differ in their chemical composition and the ways in which they affect the body. Marihuana is derived from the cannabis plant and contains the psychoactive compound THC, while alcohol is made from fermented fruits or grains and contains the psychoactive compound ethanol. Tobacco contains nicotine, a highly addictive stimulant. Each substance has its own unique set of effects on the body and brain.

Which substance is the most harmful to the body?

There is no clear answer to this question as the harm caused by each substance can vary depending on factors such as the amount consumed and the frequency of use. However, studies have shown that tobacco is the most harmful substance overall, with alcohol coming in second and marihuana being the least harmful. Tobacco has been linked to numerous health problems such as lung cancer, heart disease, and stroke, while alcohol can increase the risk of liver damage and other health issues.

Can marihuana, alcohol, or tobacco be used safely?

While there are potential risks associated with the use of all three substances, it is possible to use them safely in moderation. However, the safest option is to avoid using these substances altogether. It is important to note that the definition of "moderation" may vary for each substance and can also depend on the individual's age, health, and other factors.

Which substance is the most addictive?

All three substances can be addictive and can lead to dependence and withdrawal symptoms. However, nicotine in tobacco is considered to be the most addictive substance, followed by alcohol and then marihuana. This is due to the way nicotine affects the brain's reward system, making it highly addictive and difficult to quit.

What are the long-term effects of using marihuana, alcohol, and tobacco?

The long-term effects of using these substances can vary greatly. Tobacco use has been linked to numerous health issues, including a higher risk of developing cancer. Long-term alcohol use can lead to liver damage, heart disease, and other health problems. While research on the long-term effects of marihuana use is still ongoing, it has been linked to potential negative effects on mental health and cognitive function. It is important to note that the long-term effects can also depend on the amount and frequency of use, as well as individual factors.