Which laptop operating system do astronomers most often use?

In summary, the conversation discusses the preference for non-Windows operating systems among astronomers and the suggestion to purchase a computer with a Unix-based operating system in order to prepare for a career in observational astronomy. The reasons for this preference are the software used in the field and the prevalence of Mac and Linux at conferences and in offices. Advice is given to either purchase a Mac or a PC that can run Linux and to become familiar with the command line interface.
Omega Force
Hello.

Currently I'm in my third year of university.

I would like to work in the field of observational astronomy (not so much theoretical astronomy).

In about two weeks I'm going to buy a new laptop portable computer in the 2000€ range.

Firstly I was thinking to buy a Microsoft Windows PC, since every single one of my computers except one were Windows PCs (the one which wasn't was an Apple Mac OS X).

But then I came across a thread on a Forum (I don't remember the name of the Forum) where someone said that astronomers usually don't use Windows PCs and that they generally use other operating systems.

So I have some questions:

- Is it true that astronomers don't usually use Windows like everyone else? If yes, why?

- Which operating system(s) do astronomers most often use on their computers?

- Do you think it would be a wise decision for me to buy a computer with an operating system different than Windows? (so that I may get accustomed to the operating system which I will need to use when I'll be an astronomer) If yes, which operating system would you suggest me?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
My guess is that they use Windows in their office and Linux for their lab equipment? This is a common practice in many labs.

Most astronomy conferences I've been to look like Apple advertisements, with a few odd PCs that run Linux. In term of what they use in their offices, it is more of a mix between linux and Apple. I only very rarely have seen someone using Windows.

This is broadly true for Physics as well, but it's less pronounced than in Astro.

The reason for this is that most Astronomers work with software designed for Unix based OS's.

So, I would advise you to get either a Mac or a PC that you can install Linux on (the precise distro doesn't really matter). And you should get comfortable with the command line interface.

1. What is the most commonly used laptop operating system among astronomers?

The most commonly used laptop operating system among astronomers is Mac OS. This is because many astronomical software and programs are designed specifically for Mac OS, making it the preferred choice for astronomers.

2. Why do astronomers prefer Mac OS over other operating systems?

Astronomers prefer Mac OS because it is known for its stability, reliability, and user-friendly interface. It also has a wide range of software and applications that are useful for astronomical research.

3. Do astronomers use Windows or Linux operating systems?

While some astronomers may use Windows or Linux operating systems, they are not as commonly used as Mac OS. This is because they may not have the same level of support and compatibility for astronomical software and programs.

4. Can astronomers use any laptop operating system for their research?

Yes, astronomers can use any laptop operating system for their research. However, they may face compatibility issues with certain software or programs if they are not using Mac OS.

5. Are there any advantages to using a specific operating system for astronomy?

Yes, there are advantages to using a specific operating system for astronomy. Mac OS, for example, has a built-in UNIX core that makes it easier to run complex data analysis and simulations for astronomical research. It also has a strong community of astronomers who develop and share their own software and tools.