Specifications for buying a laptop for study and research purposes

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
35 replies · 11K views
I recently bought a Dell Vostro laptop, on sale for $773.
Specs:
Intel 10th Gen Core i7 1051OU processor w. 4 cores -- 1.80GHz to 2.3GHz
Win 10 Pro 64-bit
8 GB DDR4 Ram
256 GB SSD
nVidia GeForce MX250 with 2 GB DDR5 memory
15.6" display
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: sysprog
Physics news on Phys.org
KingElon said:
Let me know if you're having more questions!
KingElon
Since this thread is MANY months old, I suspect he has moved on in his purchase.

EDIT: Hm ... thread seems to have come back to life.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Wrichik Basu and sysprog
Bobbie1232 said:
Hello you should buy a non gaming laptop for you if you want to study

I disagree. One student I am mentoring who has a gaming laptop is maintaining a 4.0 GPA in a physics major, will likely co-author his 9th peer-reviewed paper before he graduates, and will be very well prepared for grad school. His gaming laptop is powerful enough for lots of computation intensive tasks at times when connecting to more powerful machines is inconvenient. I think he would be more well-rounded if he spent more time outside, but in the time of COVID-19, the limited gaming he is doing is helping him manage the social restrictions better than most of the other students I work with. He'll be back to his bike riding and Ultimate frisbee soon enough.

Recreational gaming is only a negative if it impacts study time or a balanced life.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: sysprog
Dr. Courtney said:
I disagree. One student I am mentoring who has a gaming laptop is maintaining a 4.0 GPA in a physics major, will likely co-author his 9th peer-reviewed paper before he graduates, and will be very well prepared for grad school. His gaming laptop is powerful enough for lots of computation intensive tasks at times when connecting to more powerful machines is inconvenient. I think he would be more well-rounded if he spent more time outside, but in the time of COVID-19, the limited gaming he is doing is helping him manage the social restrictions better than most of the other students I work with. He'll be back to his bike riding and Ultimate frisbee soon enough.

Recreational gaming is only a negative if it impacts study time or a balanced life.
He must be a genius like me 😉
 
Calling the machine a 'gaming' computer is merely a hint at what a marketer may have intended in considering a sales venue; the machine itself obviously doesn't have an ability to care about the purposes for which it's used; many machines are very general-purpose and have very strong capacity to perform tasks other than those for which they're ostensibly designated.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jamesson and Wrichik Basu