Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Which method to solve this 2nd order DE?

1. Nov 5, 2016 #1
    I have ##\frac{d^2x(t)}{dt^2} + B(x(t))^3 = 0## for a system where I know the initial conditions and where B is a constant that's constructed from the properties of the system. I would like to find ##x(t)##.

I've modelled the system in Python and produced some graphs. I know that ##x(t)## is some periodic function.

Could somebody name the method that I should study so that I can get a solution?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2016 #2
    After some further reading I've got this...
    Let ##s = x'## so ##s' = x''##

##-Bx^3 = x'' = s' \frac{ds}{dt} = \frac{ds}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt} = \frac{ds}{dx} s##

##-\int{Bx^3 dx} = \int{s ds} ##

##\frac{-Bx^4}{4} + C = \frac{s^2}{2}##

2C is just a constant that I'll rename C

##\sqrt{C-\frac{Bx^4}{2}} = s = \frac{dx}{dt}##

Since ##x(0) = x_0## and ##x'(0) = 0## we have ##C-\frac{Bx_0^4}{2} = 0## so ##C = \frac{Bx_0^4}{2}##

##\frac{dx}{dt} = \sqrt{\frac{B}{2}}\sqrt{x_0^4-x^4}##

##\sqrt{\frac{B}{2}}\int{\frac{1}{\sqrt{x_0^4-x^4}}dx} = \int{dt}##

I don't know if this is correct, but it seems plausible. Now to evaluate the integral.

4. Dec 8, 2016 #3

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Could you state the initial conditions? I ask because you may be able to perturb the equation, take a naive expansion, and approximating your solution analytically. It would not be exact but the method can be incredibly close (like a truncated Taylor series).

5. Dec 8, 2016 #4

lurflurf

Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted