Which molecule most likely to deviate from ideal values?

In summary, the conversation is about determining the factors that cause bond angles to deviate from ideal values. The speaker mentions various factors such as symmetry, isotopes, and polarity. They also discuss the role of lone pairs of electrons on the central atom and how they can affect bond angles. The conversation concludes with a mention of the VSEPR theory and its relevance to the topic.
LegitSci
Hi,

Hoping I could get some help on this one.
How would I know what causes bond angles to deviate from the ideal values?

I greatly appreciate any help and advice on this.

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Anything that breaks the symmetry; 35Cl instead of 36 in a CCl4 molecule; you name it.

Is there any connection between polarity?

LegitSci said:
polarity?
Bystander said:
You name it.

If so, how would you compare between different molecules? Like if I were to compare which molecules deviated THE MOST from the "ideal" values...
for example BrCl3, XeCl4, or CO

does deviation correspond to the number of lone pairs on the central atom, but even then XeCl4 and BrCl3 both have 2 pairs so I'm super confused.
Or does it have to do with location of the lone pairs?

LegitSci said:
bond angles
CO? A straight line is a straight line. What are the "ideal" values for the other two? Which isotopes/isotope combinations are you considering "ideal?"
LegitSci said:
XeCl4 and BrCl3 both have 2 pairs
Two pairs? What are you counting?

but arent there lone pairs of electrons for central atom (either C or O) CO or do they not affect the bond angles?

for XeCl4 and BrCl3, I am counting the number of lone pairs of electrons.
so there would be 2 pairs of lone pairs on the central atom (Xe and Br, respectively), right?

I am considering the VSEPR to be "ideal", sorry for any confusion

I think I got it. It has to do with the placement of lone pair of electrons on the central atom.

Thanks

LegitSci said:
central atom (either C or O) CO
One bond can NOT make an angle.
LegitSci said:
would be 2 pairs of lone pairs on the central atom (Xe and Br, respectively)
Yes.
LegitSci said:
VSEPR
So, that's back in fashion --- two pairs --- one on one side and the other opposite --- "pair repulsion" --- what are your thoughts?

LegitSci said:
I think I got it. It has to do with the placement of lone pair of electrons on the central atom.
Yes --- You're welcome.

1. What is an ideal molecule?

An ideal molecule is one that follows all of the predicted behaviors and properties based on the theoretical models and laws of chemistry.

2. What determines which molecule deviates from ideal values?

The deviation of a molecule from ideal values is determined by its specific chemical composition and structure.

3. Why do some molecules deviate from ideal values?

Molecules can deviate from ideal values due to factors such as intermolecular forces, molecular shape, and temperature and pressure conditions.

4. How do we measure the deviation of a molecule from ideal values?

The deviation of a molecule from ideal values can be measured through various methods, such as experimental techniques like spectroscopy, or through theoretical calculations.

5. Can an ideal molecule exist in nature?

While there are no perfectly ideal molecules in nature, some molecules come close to ideal behavior, especially at specific conditions or in simplified systems. However, most real-world molecules will deviate from ideal values to some extent.