Which of these two TV's would you choose?

• Thread starter Dotini
  • Start date
In summary, both the Samsung 46" UN46D6000 LED/LCD and the Panasonic 46" TC-P46ST30 plasma are highly rated for gaming, with the Samsung being better for fast-paced games and the plasma producing a superior picture for slower RPGs. The Samsung also has a longer lifespan and uses less energy, but the Panasonic may have a better gaming experience. Both are priced similarly, with the Panasonic also offering 3D capability. The decision ultimately depends on personal preferences and usage.
Dotini
Gold Member
My 35" Sony CRT TV died a couple of days ago.

I've done some research and arrived at two choices:

1) Samsung 46" UN46D6000 LED/LCD 1080p 120 Hz @ $765

2) Panasonic 46" TC-P46ST30 plasma 1080p @ $800

Both are highly rated for gaming, which would be my primary consideration. I'm not too interested in 3D or apps at the moment.

Any advice or recommendations?

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on what kind of gaming you do and how much you want to spend. In general for fast paced games like FPS or watching sports the Samsung is the better choice, while for slower RPGs the plasma will produce a superior picture. Cost wise plasmas tend to leak limiting their lifespans, while the new LED backlighting can use 1/3 less power and last almost twice as long as the older CCFL models.

If it were my choice I'd definitely go for the Samsung. They are also the eight hundred pound gorilla of display technology and specialize in low latency internal circuitry for gaming.

wuliheron said:
It depends on what kind of gaming you do and how much you want to spend.

I play GranTurismo 5. I'm willing to spend up to $850 or so.

Respectfully,
Steve

wuliheron said:
If it were my choice I'd definitely go for the Samsung.

I agree with the notion of choosing LED/LCD over plasma. Beyond the cost/maintenance issues, there has been talk of banning plasma TVs due to their high energy usage. I think the UK may already be doing so.

Definitely the Samsung LED. I recently got one of these and it looks amazing, best colour reproduction I have ever seen with a TV and the high definition makes everything crystal clear. It works amazingly well with Gran Turismo 5, although I have noticed that very rarely, you will see a ghosting issue in the game, but that is a small, rare issue against a world of awesome.

Ivan Seeking said:
Beyond the cost/maintenance issues, there has been talk of banning plasma TVs due to their high energy usage.

My research indicates the marginal additional energy cost of the plasma would be about $40-50/yr. That is not so much if the motion/gaming experience of the plasma were superior. I have spent literally hundreds of hours "TV racing", and expect to continue to do so; it is a big deal for me. I'm accustomed to the near-perfect response of the CRT, but those are definitely obsolete!

Respectfully,
Steve

Dotini said:
My research indicates the marginal additional energy cost of the plasma would be about $40-50/yr. That is not so much if the motion/gaming experience of the plasma were superior. I have spent literally hundreds of hours "TV racing", and expect to continue to do so; it is a big deal for me. I'm accustomed to the near-perfect response of the CRT, but those are definitely obsolete!

Respectfully,
Steve

In that case I would take a good look at the lifespan. We too got the Samsung LED TV, I think 52"? and the LEDs are supposed to be good for 100K hours, or about 11 years of constant use. [GREAT TV btw, but I don't game, so I don't know how it would perform for you. We do get a fantastic picture with no noticable pixelation due to motion]

For me the energy consumption was enough to make the call. By rumor only, I have heard that you may only get a few years from a plasma TV with high use. [then a big bill to get it working again]

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
By rumor only, I have heard that you may only get a few years from a plasma TV with high use.

Ivan, I'm 63. It's questionable what will last longer, the TV or me!

Once TV's lasted a looong time. But my dear old Sony turned its CRT red after only ~6 years, and developed other spendy issues as well. Which raises the issue of the extended service contract. Did you buy it?

Respectfully,
Steve

Dotini said:
Ivan, I'm 63. It's questionable what will last longer, the TV or me!

Once TV's lasted a looong time. But my dear old Sony turned its CRT red after only ~6 years, and developed other spendy issues as well. Which raises the issue of the extended service contract. Did you buy it?

Respectfully,
Steve

I never buy the extended service contracts, with the exception of computers, and cars.

I had one TV for more than 20 years. And I bought it used.

Dotini, I realize that being an X Boeing guy, you probably have a seven-figure retirement plan, but just in case: Do you really want to be paying for big repairs at 66? Buy a good one now and it may last the rest of your life.

That aside, if money is no object, then I have no useful input regarding picture quality for gaming.

Of course, if money isn't an issue and you're willing to wait LG has a 55" 5mm thick OLED coming on the market.

Ivan Seeking said:
Dotini, I realize that being an X Boeing guy, you probably have a seven-figure retirement plan, but just in case: Do you really want to be paying for big repairs at 66? Buy a good one now and it may last the rest of your life.

That aside, if money is no object, then I have no useful input regarding picture quality for gaming.

wuliheron said:
Of course, if money isn't an issue and you're willing to wait LG has a 55" 5mm thick OLED coming on the market.

Money is always an issue, even though I have indeed benefited greatly from my long association with the great Boeing Company. Long ago, it was made great for and by engineers. Recently, more about being for and by businessmen. Sic transit gloria mundi!

The Panasonic plasma ST30 set that has the 3D; 46" for $800, 42" for $700.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004M8SCHO/?tag=pfamazon01-20
This set has very good reviews.

The Samsung also has very good reviews, but for the same size and (actual) price, lacks the 3D, for whatever that is worth.

In general, it is supposed that plasma sets wear out faster. But in reality, I think it depends upon the individual set in question.

But for me, the real question is image motion quality and input lag time, which in times past the CRT and plasma were generally rated higher than the LCD. It may be that times are changing with improved LED/LCD technology. But that is the question.

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

Dotini said:
The Samsung also has very good reviews, but for the same size and (actual) price, lacks the 3D, for whatever that is worth.

True 120hz 3D LCDs aren't just a gimmick. They use two 60hz screens to achieve the 120hz and it makes for significantly better viewing and gaming in 2D as well. If you're worried about input lag I'd definitely get the plasma if the the Samsung isn't 120hz.

Dotini said:
Long ago, it was made great for and by engineers. Recently, more about being for and by businessmen. Sic transit gloria mundi

A brief aside: I do a lot of work with Boeing. It is a tricky business but they are still a great company; quite a different company than I knew 15 years ago, but still great. I have managed to capitalize on the outsourcing.

I've been checking into getting a bigger HDTV. I currently have a 46" Philips, which has specs as good as the 46" Samsung when I purchased it a couple of years ago. The main concern I had back then was that it supported S-video inputs as my satellite providers receivers doesn't support HDMI; only S-video for highest quality picture (I don't have a HD package). So I've been paying attention to the inputs as well as their outputs. You can find HDTVs with good picture quality specs without being able to interface your equipment. :grumpy:

dlgoff said:
The main concern I had back then was that it supported S-video inputs as my satellite providers receivers doesn't support HDMI; only S-video for highest quality picture (I don't have a HD package)

What do you use for HD sources? Blu-ray and/or game consoles?

I've been reading that S-video inputs are becoming harder and harder to find as devices with S-video outputs become less common.

jtbell said:
What do you use for HD sources? Blu-ray and/or game consoles?

I've been reading that S-video inputs are becoming harder and harder to find as devices with S-video outputs become less common.

Of course the over-the-air antenna displays HD which I use a lot, a DVD player that uses a HDMI input (Blu-ray will come later), and at times my PC on a HDMI input. I don't game but when my daughter was still living here, she used one HDMI input for her Play Station. I've had DirecTV for years and if you don't have a HD programing package, the receivers outputs are either S-video or A/V inputs; S-video being the best quality. I know. I need to upgrade (>$).

But yes. S-video is old technology. I'll have to bit the bullet if I want a new larger TV.

Dotini said:
In general, it is supposed that plasma sets wear out faster. But in reality, I think it depends upon the individual set in question.

But for me, the real question is image motion quality and input lag time, which in times past the CRT and plasma were generally rated higher than the LCD. It may be that times are changing with improved LED/LCD technology. But that is the question.
Dotini,

I have a 40 inch Samsung LCD 1080P, 60 hz, a couple years old and if your real issue is "image motion quality and input lag time" then get the fastest refresh rate you can. People think I am crazy when I say that peoples faces (shape shift while they move and talk, etc...) and only I seem to notice it. Don't get me wrong I like my TV, but my brain had to do some adjusting to the morphing like quality effects you see in faces at slower refresh rates, etc...

If the image motion quaility is a deal breaker for you and you care about 3D down the road, I would look into 240 hz TV's as well. The only way to be sure is take your favorite Blu ray movie with you and watch the faces carefully, if you are happy with what you see, then that is the one you should buy. Good luck...

Rhody...

Last edited:
does anybody make one that's maintainable? that is comes with a partslist and troubleshooting guide?

i'm trying to fix daughter's 47 inch Vizio that died a month past the 1 extra year warranty.

the autoparts industry is booming, you'd think there'd be a chain like OReilly's for TV parts.

anyhow - the world needs more VW Beetles and less throw-it-away engineering.

grumpy old jim

jim hardy said:
does anybody make one that's maintainable? that is comes with a partslist and troubleshooting guide?

i'm trying to fix daughter's 47 inch Vizio that died a month past the 1 extra year warranty.

the autoparts industry is booming, you'd think there'd be a chain like OReilly's for TV parts.

grumpy old jim

You give up to early grumpy old ma... Jim. What's the most power hungry component in it?...Light Source maybe? Anyway, from the longevity spec of the for my TVs back light tube, that would give me a place to start trouble-shooting.

jim hardy said:

grumpy old jim

There is a good reason that TV repair shops are rare these days. The cost of repairs often approach or exceed the value of the TV. And why would a company want to sell parts instead of a new TV?

dlgoff said:
Of course the over-the-air antenna displays HD which I use a lot

Aha. When you said you were using DirecTV I didn't figure you'd also be using OTA broadcasts.

With me, it's OTA only for TV, plus Blu-ray and occasionally HD DVD. I originally chose the wrong side of the "HD disc format war." After HD DVD officially "died," I loaded up on discs at fire-sale prices, along with a couple of spare players.

The prices on new TVs tempt me, but our six-year-old Panasonic 32" LCD is still going strong, so there's no practical need to replace it.

dlgoff said:
You give up to early grumpy old ma... Jim. What's the most power hungry component in it?...Light Source maybe? Anyway, from the longevity spec of the for my TVs back light tube, that would give me a place to start trouble-shooting.

Often its the capacitors that go and its an easy fix, but the further away you get from the power supply the more impossible it becomes to even trace the problem. There was even a Japanese manufacturer who got caught producing inferior capacitors and you might wind up replacing one capacitor only to have another go bad. If you really want to save money on electronics these days and repair things desktop computers are much more worthy of your time and effort then TVs and radios.

1. Which TV has better picture quality?

The quality of a TV's picture is determined by several factors, including resolution, contrast ratio, color accuracy, and screen technology. It is difficult to say which TV has better picture quality without knowing the specific models and their specifications. It is recommended to research the specific TVs and read reviews to determine which one has better picture quality.

2. Which TV is more energy efficient?

Energy efficiency in TVs is measured by the Energy Star rating, with higher ratings indicating more energy-efficient models. It is important to note that larger TVs tend to use more energy. It is recommended to compare the Energy Star ratings of the two TVs and consider the size of the TV to determine which one is more energy-efficient.

3. Which TV has a longer lifespan?

The lifespan of a TV is affected by various factors, such as usage, maintenance, and quality of components. Generally, LED TVs tend to have longer lifespans compared to LCD TVs. It is recommended to research the specific models and read reviews to determine which one has a longer lifespan.

4. Which TV has more features?

The number and type of features vary between TVs, so it is difficult to determine which one has more features without knowing the specific models. It is recommended to research the features of each TV and consider which ones are important to you in order to determine which one has more features.

5. Which TV is better for gaming?

Gaming on a TV depends on several factors, such as input lag, response time, and display technology. Generally, TVs with lower input lag and response time and with features such as variable refresh rate are better for gaming. It is recommended to research the specific models and read reviews from gamers to determine which one is better for gaming.