Which one is the active ingredient for this cleaner?

• Thread starter kenny1999
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I saw a label on a cleaner sold as "professional" cleaner, with the following ingredients:

Water, Propylene Glycol, Polysorbate 20, Phenoxyehanol, Melaleuca Alternifolia (tea tree) Leaf Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oi

May I know which one is the active ingredient for cleaning?
For anything else sold as a different brand or for a different market,
if I find the same active ingredient, will it work almost the same?
How important is the other ingredients otherwise than the active one?

Thanks

Answers and Replies

jim mcnamara
Mentor
Please tell us what this mixture/product is supposed to be used for? Cleaning floors? Thanks.

I think you are asking which one of these is a non-ionic surfactant - like a detergent. Polysorbate 20 is your answer. Generally it is used in makeup to let oils dissolve in water.

The lavender oil and tea tree oil are supposed to have some medicinal value, tea tree oil is has some antimicrobial activity and commonly used to control nail fungus infections in humans. Lavender oil smells good, and, unlike tea tree oil, it sometimes is used in cooking -- In New Mexico US, for example.

Propylene Glycol and glycol esters help to dissolve oils and grease.

Phenoxyethanol is used as an anti-bacterial in cosmetics and stabilizer in perfumes.

Whatever it is supposed to be do not eat it, and, I think, in Europe there are restrictions on phenoxyethanol uses.

I'll bet @chemisttree or @Borek can add more substantive content if we know what this stuff is used for.

• Informative
Likes Laroxe, Astronuc, kenny1999 and 3 others
Borek
Mentor
Nothing more comes to mind. Oils are most likely there mostly to make the mixture smell nice.

• Informative
Likes Keith_McClary and atyy
jim mcnamara
Mentor
Oh - and the same ingredients will give the pretty close same results.

Buying only Polysorbate 20 will not save you money. I've never used it. But have used Tween80 which works somewhat like this stuff -- minus the odorizing oils. It is VERY expensive and it cleans glassware really well. Polysorbate 20 is usually not available for general retail. And it is expensive.

If you could tell us what you want to do, and not how you want to do it (buy or make cleaners), maybe we could help.

Looked up Polysorbate 20 - 4 US ounces for $USD 8.00. Most of the things I saw were food grade and even more expensive.

Last edited:
Likes atyy
Oh - and the same ingredients will give the pretty close same results.

Buying only Polysorbate 20 will not save you money. I've never used it. But have used Tween80 which works somewhat like this stuff -- minus the odorizing oils. It is VERY expensive and it cleans glassware really well. Polysorbate 20 is usually not available for general retail. And it is expensive.

If you could tell us what you want to do, and not how you want to do it (buy or make cleaners), maybe we could help.

Looked up Polysorbate 20 - 4 US ounces for $USD 8.00. Most of the things I saw were food grade and even more expensive.
Hi. The cleaner I am interested in is advertised to clean and disinfect toy for children they are on the shelf of an expensive and grand shop so I think that
their products must have been overpriced very much so I am looking for alternatives elsewhere

jim mcnamara
Mentor
Some dish detergent in water will clean. For disinfecting - from the US FDA on using household bleach:
1/3 cup bleach per 1 gallon of water OR 2 tablespoons bleach per 1 quart water. This will give you a 1000+ ppm disinfecting solution. After cleaning the area with detergent, spray or wipe with surfaces with the disinfectant. Make sure to allow surfaces to fully air dry. Do not wipe dry.
Do not use stronger bleach solutions because they can damage finished surfaces and clothing.