Which physics branch contributed more to modern civilization

• Thread starter Ricster55
  • Start date
Ricster55
Classical or modern physics? Basically, which branch is responsible for all modern inventions: Cars, airplanes, modern sea ships, spacecraft s, microwaves, ovens, computers, televisions, smartphones, etc. (Also, how did we get to the moon, using concepts from classical or modern physics?)

Classical physics is: classical/Newtonian mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics
Modern Physics is: relativity, quantum mechanics, optics, nuclear and particle physics

Answers and Replies

fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2022 Award
I don't think you can draw a line nowadays as every car has microchips built in and ships are steered by GR dependent GPS signals. However, overall, I think it is plain old classical mechanics. It ruled our world for thousands of years and only since a century, the two fields became connected. But this doesn't change the fact, that the law of levers is still silently used everywhere and all the time.

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Basically, which branch is responsible for all modern inventions:

Objection! Assumes facts not in evidence!

You question assumes that the same subfield gives us cars and smartphones.

Dreadfort
Solid State Physics

Rive
Science Advisor
Quite decent part of the history of every branch of physics is about utilizing (aka: stealing:smile:) the math, ideas, solutions from other branches and apply them on different areas.

To sort it out is like tracking back the family tree of an old style guinea pig breeding farm...

Well, if I must pick only one single suspect for this, then it'll be ... mathematics :wink:

Ygggdrasil
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Hello from the biologists:
degree_off.png

https://xkcd.com/1520/

Modern medicine (antibiotics, vaccines, etc.) are pretty important inventions to modern civilization too!

Attachments

• degree_off.png
    degree_off.png
    70.7 KB · Views: 272
Likes Grands and BillTre
bland
I would say classical chemistry, for example the Haber process where fertiliser could be plucked out of the air, feeding populations is the basis of the modern population explosion.

Suggested for: Which physics branch contributed more to modern civilization

Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views