Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which technology will internetize society next?

1. Mar 19, 2008 #1
    Ok, that title is very crude I admit it. By internetize, I mean which new technology will be the next revolutionary technology to severly impact society.

Here is a brief list of my opinion of the most impacting technologies in roughly the last century.

Cars
    Radios
    TVs
    Computers
    Internet
    ?
    ?
    ?

So, will quantum computing be next? Before nanotechnology has mainstream applications? Before fusion power? I know this post is asking alot of you to predict an uncertain future, but is there any guidance in the scientific community that predicts when such technologies will reach early adopters?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2008 #2
    i think if we discover room temperature (and reasonable pressure! for those who are up to news) superconductors, it will open up a huge array of applications, from much faster computers, to much better forms of transportation. it seems like some great work is done in the field, and I can't wait for it to happen. it would change everything.

4. Mar 20, 2008 #3

For those not "up to news", I believe this article summarizes what Mephisto was referring to.

5. Mar 20, 2008 #4
    Wow, that would be a huge breakthrough if cheap superconducting wires would come out. If so, couldn't they cut out AC current entirely considering that telephone wires wouldn't lose current? I believe you forgot to add cell phones to your list also.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?