1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which 'Units' will I benefit most from in a Physics Masters?

1. Aug 19, 2008 #1
    Which Subjects will benefit me more:

-Mechanics (Extensive, sound foundation in mechanics)

-Further Pure Maths (If I take all the units, likewise, I will have a better understanding of mathematics)
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Depends on the masters you want to do. Of course, a sound foundation in mechanics is always good to have and will be of use in (almost) any part of physics. But if you want to do theoretical physics, for example, I can also very much recommend pure maths.
    Furthermore, the advise would depend on what exactly the subjects contain. For example, do you learn about Lagrangian / Hamiltonian formulations in Mechanics? Will you learn about manifolds, topology and Lie groups in Pure Mathematics?
  4. Aug 20, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Are these university courses? They sound like A level modules to me, but I could be wrong. If I'm right, then I'd pick the maths: you should learn mechanics in your physics class anyway.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?